Chevette wont start after driving

Guest Armourking

Guest Armourking

ok so it drives sweet as still but after say 10-30mins driving you pull over to go to the dairy and come and and it turns over and over etc but wont start i went for a walk for about 20 mins and came back and sweet as but then happened again next time i stopped

any ideas please help as i miss driving it

Also hi to everyone one we were spaceghost but had to make a new account :(

thanks lee

Could be the coil or the like overheating so it's not getting spark. Is it supposed to run a ballast resistor on a Shuvit but isn't? If you've a spare coil, I'd try that first.

Or the condsensor - but in both cases one would expect the car to stop running and not only refuse to start again (if that makes sense).

I guess if it was my car I would check the dizzy cap and then change the condensor, then the plugs and if it has a water 'cooled' inlet manifold I would possibly think about bypassing the inlet manifold waterjacket

Guest Armourking

ok so i had a look today, the contacts in the dizzy cap had some arc marks so cleaned them up and put a new condenser in and it did run it got its pep back but when you put your foot down it sort of bogs down then finally revs up, when i was at the parts shop he said the dizzy's for the chevettes are really bad for wearing the shafts out and causes it to missthe contacts, so i checked how much play and its about 2mm? i didn't get to drive it like this didn't want the embarrasment!! but it feels like now maybe the timing is out. i had a look at the coil and it seems fairly new champion one.

any more thoughts

when i was at the parts shop he said the dizzy's for the chevettes are really bad for wearing the shafts out and causes it to missthe contacts, so i checked how much play and its about 2mm?

2mm play with the dizzy fitted or off the engine?

Guest Armourking

so i found a few things to fix while having a play with the timing today, i'm going to have to find a tacho as in the manual it says you have to have it revving at 400rpm which is pretty slow but to get the mech advance not working it needs to be slow.

the water pump is leaking and bearing sounds shagged

the carb was leaking onto the exhaust (the oil in the top)

soo 160 bucks later i'll replace the parts on my days off oh yay!!!

Not many tachos are very accurate that low in the rev range. I think the idea behind stating 400rpm is just basically as slow as it will rev while stil being able to idle. I'm not sure if you'd get a poorly running 1256 to spin constantly at 400rpm but its worth a crack.

Guest Armourking

you could get 400 easy but like you said consistantly i don't think so but we'll see rebuilt the carb at work last night so hopefully that now works ok