cheap spraycan paint jobs

rxtoy

been doing a bit of a touch up on my ute, it's not long term but i'll be driving it for the next few months the way things are going before it comes off the roda so i want it to be at least one colour (currently 5).

i bought some cheap export spray cans from supercheap, i've already done a couple of panels but the paint isn't doing the best job of sticking.

i've just been sanding then cleaning with wax and grease remover as prep, not taking it right down to bare metal or anything. then painting, lots of thin coats til i've got a solid colour then stopped pretty much.

do i need to prime it????

any other helpful hints or tips because its pretty much rubbing off again, not just in the next couple of days but even weeks later.

is it just because the paint is such crap quality??? would i get a better sticking result with some $15 a can paint???

is this export shit just for the taggers :lol:

cheers

Matt

i see they have put up new sighns stating that it isnt for use with cars.

we got some touch up stuff ( i think it was colourtone) made up for the morris 1800, that stuff was farily good, huge can too, think it cost about $15, tho could have painted the whole thing for under $100 (keeping in mind the size of it)

Don't know why you're bothering really.

You could buy 2 Litres of a semi-decent quality paint for around $50. Even if you hire a compressor and borrow a gun it woulde still probably be cheaper than $100 plus it would be 100% easier to spray using a gun than a silly spray can nozzle and the biggest plus is the paint won't fall off :P

Spray cans seem like a good idea at the time but when you're on the fourth can and have only done 2 and a half panels you begin to realise its not that great after all.

I painted my old 323 with that export crap, wouldn't reccomend it, left a big black mark on my driveway whenever it rained, then once came summer it started crumbling off when you rubbed it, then to make matters worse its so soft it clogged up my sanding disks literally straight away when i decided to sand it off to give it a "proper" paint job, took bloody ages cos i had to get it all off if i wanted any chance of the dulon sticking to it. the ppg dulon worked out quite well, used a mitre 10 compressor, and just sprayed till i ran outta paint. got 4l satin black and 4l thinners thru a mate for $100. Im sure someone on here could hook you up?

well i've actually got a compressor and a spray gun, just nowhere to do it. staying at my old mans at the moment.

how far will the paint drift if i use a compressor????

plus whats the deal with the paint and thinners??? i don't know anything about that sort of stuff, never done it before.

cheers

Matt

I wanted to to a cheap matty-b job on my bonnet where the paint has crazed, to stop further damage before I get the whole car painted properly. The guy at Wairau Paint Centre told me to avoid cheap aerosol paint jobs at all cost, as not only will it look shit, but it will cause a lot more grief when it comes time to paint it properly, as all the crap that goes into the can along with the paint will make a really nasty surface to try and prep later.

Do it once and do it right, or just don't do it was essentially his advice.

yea go spend money on propper paint my matty B cost around $200 but that was with 3l of paint, shitloads of thinners, primer and 10l of prepsol. Just paint it outside and push it in the shed will be fine unless its windy the results are a million times better than cans.

Also just ask your paint shop how to mix it etc

Or read the directions on he back of tin maybe.

is that what all that writing was on the back for, boring :rolleyes:

/nah, tried that and it was shit.

meh, will wait, buy house soon, garage can be temporary paint booth to start with.

cheers

Matt

If you want a cheapo job with good coverage using cans then I suggest try Plasticote brand from warehouse or other places as they will do almost a one coat coverage and it is half decent. If you get runs then you went for 10% more coverage than you should have. One coat is acceptable, 2 coats hides everything and its goes glossy.