turning struts into coilovers?

allan

Done it twice.

Get threaded tube roughly the right dia to slide over shaft of strut. Cut off bottom cup. Get threaded sleave welded where you want it (depends on shocks you use really) Steal thread is better than alloy.

Now you need two nuts that are large enough to go over this thread and also large enough to hold the bottom of the spring. Diary factories have something perfect but I cant member what.. other wise kits on trademe if cant find in stores.

2-2.5inch springs are the type of spings I like to use. I have also used std one however.

For the top cup I used the standard one in one case and the other case I used one from a kit.

The kits off trademe usually have an alloy threaded tube do they not? I've always wondered how people get on with attaching these to steel struts. Some of them come with a sponge or rubber sleave that fits between the strut and threaded tube, and grub screws in the threaded tube you tighten up onto the strut, exactly like fitting a shitty aftermarket gear-knob to the shift-lever. That just seems dodgy as fuck to me...

Better way of doing it with alloy threaded tubes?

i know when TSV make there coilovers they use honda springs and top cups.Are the right size or some shit.The gig nut that gaz is talking bout from factories would be the big nuts that hold all the stainless water pipes together i think.

Just getting steel threaded tube thats the right diameter (usually 50-51mm?) and welding it to the strut. Can't really go wrong there and the steel will hold up better to alot of adjustment than I imagine alloy would.

The kits off trademe usually have an alloy threaded tube do they not? I've always wondered how people get on with attaching these to steel struts. Some of them come with a sponge or rubber sleave that fits between the strut and threaded tube, and grub screws in the threaded tube you tighten up onto the strut, exactly like fitting a shitty aftermarket gear-knob to the shift-lever. That just seems dodgy as fuck to me...

Those kits are designed to sit on the original spring perch still.... still a shithouse way of doing things.

what does this cost in comparison to a new set of coilovers......including welders costs an shit gaz?

If you have any trade connections you should be able to get the threaded tube and nuts for around $50, springs up to $150 a pair looking at TM -http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Other-accessories/auction-129881308.htm- and i wouldn't pay over $100 for the welding (i wouldnt pay for the welding, id do it myself lol)

Yup pretty much what Hell said.

You can use honda gear like Ogre said as they are small coil springs. Then it'd be even cheaper again.

My alloy set is welded on to the shaft still. Will post pics 2moro or some shit.