Should I upgrade my fuel lines

zep

obviously this car is changing from a carburetted engine from 1978 to a fuel injected turbo engine. At the momen't I'm still running the standard metal fuel lines under the car...

I did, however, have to put in a return line which is 3/8" I think, the fuel send is much smaller... should I replace this too with a larger one or will I be fine keeping it as is?

cheers

depends on what bore your stock line is. I've had issues using stock carby lines with fuel injection that were 6mm NB.

8mm ftw

3/8" = 9.5mm/heaps enough/overkill for a return. re route slightly and use it as the feed and the stock feed as the return?

Ok I think I was pulling bore numbers out of my ass. there is no way its 9.5mm... maybe like 4mm at the most.

But that is a good idea, will swap the feed and the return around. The thinner diameter return should be fine eh?

depends on how hungry your engine is but with a turbo car you wouldnt want much smaller than 8mm. Depending on what computer your running it will dump all four injectors at once or in pairs. With small line this can cause massive fuel rail pressure fluctuations which then = running like shit

Talking to guys on OzGemini who have done the same thing I am, they've run the standard lines without any trouble. If it's a major problem, I'll make another one later on. That new style easy to bend pipe make it was easier.

Think ya can keep as is. Under presure itll force it through alot quicker. Think thats how itll work.

as pressure increases, flow decreases :!:

ive been pondering this same thing with my lancer

dont really want to run new lines

but if i need to i will

mine are feed 6mm I/D

and return 4mm I/D

ontopic thread hijack ftw

• 3 weeks later...

just an update talked to a few peeps

and they reckon 8mm outside diameter feed and 6mm outside diameter return is sweet up to around 350hp (which is waht most cars are apparently even wrxs, evos etc)

any more hp and you need to upgrade

8mm ftw. just make sure you get EFi rated hose if you run rubber. I tried to run normal fuel hose once and it split all over the place. Luckily it never broke the inner seal though. But as soon as I noticed the crazy cracks all through the line I put EFi shit in there.

as pressure increases, flow decreases :!:

ontopic thread hijack ftw

not 100% true, how u figre that?

not even 25% true boe

That's Boyles law ( pV = k ). It's true for a closed system, which this is not.

nah shit i was thinking bout was bernoullis theroem

as the speed of a moving fluid increases, the pressure within the fluid decreases.

relates to venturis and shit, is what makes planes fly