Home done headwork

lowlancer

rofls

So have a spare head for 4G63, would love to do basic port etc, port match, polish, get rid of casting marks and blend valve castings

what's required to do this?

Die grinder presumably.

Can I just lay the exhaust gasket over it and trace out the shape for port matching?

I don't wanna go overboard, will just have a light cam and 32/36 with extractors and 2.25"exhaust.

any advice appreciated.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

any advice appreciated.

By all means remove any factory castings and smooth the ports if there are any harsh angles but a modern head probably can not be much enhanced without major surgery.

A die grinder with a selection of stones and flapper wheels (sandpaper wheels) it good but you will probably need an extension to get deep into the port.

In all honesty it is probably a waste of time :cry: but if you have nothing to loose it could be fun. 8)

Port matching requires your manifolds and bearing blue. You will probably find that they are really close already. The marvels or modern Japanese engineering.

Have you already revoved the counter balance shafts from the motor?

Peace.

The exhaust guys recommended I go with 2 1/2 with my 2.0L. Granted it will be putting out a little more than an old 4g63 but I would think 2inch will be too small.

Do heaps of research on porting etc. I'm sure you know the basics but there are alot of things that you can do to bugger it all up that would seem to improve the performance. Also very easy to go through ports into water ways.

I don't know about your gaskets, but mine in no way match the port sizing. You could try do both to the same gasket and hope it lines up though. Or perhaps get a vernier and make sure they are absolutely perfect and exactly the same port spacing etc.

Yeah I know the basics, all else I'm just going on is internet info.

Probably just clean up the castings and angles, but I have to say, it looks like a well flowing head stock. That's with no knowledge though :lol:

Someone have some mean links?

I got this head cheap as so I'm not too stressed, but I would like a nice little N/A performer eventually

Will be built over next 6 months or so, plan on getting 7000rpm outta her, which apprently isn't too hard on a SOHC 63 once you balance it, get rid of shafts, etc etc Will make for cool point of difference, and cheap over time

Basically just wanna do all the work I can myself. Obviously balancing etc will be done by a pro.

You need to match manifold inlet tracks to head ports rather than gasket to ports.

The trick is to make dowels so the manifold is in the same position each time you dummy fit to see your handy work. Once these dowels are in bolt the manifold up and spray some paint down the tracks and it will show you a guideline. Then grind away to make it asmooth transition. Only have to go to 80 grit sandpaper to finish. Not knowing what head this is i would do some research as to someone having already done it. Last thing you want to do is hit a gallery.

Good luck and take your time.

I dont know if ya can get much outa porting these heads eh.I was talking to gman and another guy that had a rally EX or somthing and they seemed to think the gains where marginal.Although putting a cam and removing the balance shafts in these things really seems to bring them alive.

Mean. Clean the head a little. Double valve springs. Nasty cams. Side draft intake. Nice headers.

Do the bottom end. Light rods. Good rod bolts. Possibly even look at a smaller crank to slightly reduce stroke and let it rev harder. Shouldn't reduce capacity by too much, maybe to 1.9L with a 1.8L crank? Would be awesome I was thinking about doing something like that with my engine for revvvvsss like they did to that 1.9L cossy NA engine making 400hp haha.. but not quite like that :wink:

That 400hp cossie engine is a load of shite. It's alledged flywheel hp, so god knows what sort of power loss ratio they've put in. It looks like a grunty piece of kit though, no disrespect to it, I'm sure it's insane. just not 400hp insane. That's a fucken tall order from a 1.9 litre engine.

BTW my 2 litre engines (3SGEs) come with a 2.25" exhaust from factory, and I've got a TOMS exhaust manifold which is 2.5". 2" is definitely too small if you're looking to get some good top end power out of it.

the head on the engine in my Carina has had a porting job done when it was in Japan. when I took it to Lynn rogers, he said he was quite impressed with it, looked like a really good job was done by who ever did it. Big motherfucken open ports FTW

ported%20head.jpg