Supercharging shit.

danger

Right. I'm suffering from a significant head injury which makes it acceptable to come up with silly ideas and also gives me the spare time needed to carry a few out.

I Have A:

1800 OHC MA block motor in my 929, it is not very shiny and it is slow. basicly the same as an 1800 econovan/ courier motor

Its on a jacto 3 speed which is actually a pretty good auto box so I'm not worried bout swapping it to manual.

I want to make it go faster without absolutely fucking my fuel bills.

I have 2inch extractors to go on and I've serviced it etc.

If I was to make an MR2 supercharger fit on it what problems would I have? I dont want to hear about the air velocity coefficient of E=MC², I just want to hear if it'l work and whether the motor will go Bang.

Its got a nikki 2 barrel on it at the moment which I dont really wanna fiddle with too much and a meaty sounding fuel pump (probably the same as an rx4 fuel pump)

I was thinking I'd just fab up some bracketry to bolt the sucker on, find a belt and put in a larger radiator and oil cooler, better coil, leads and plugs, possibly port the head a bit if i'm feeling bored, tidy up valves and clearances and play with the timing. Would that cause any reason to make it pop? Cant be fucked putting money into it just thought I might have a crack for the hell of it.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do it, those motors aren't the hardest thing to come across.... they seem pretty tough, just not revvers at all...

your biggest problem's going to be the fabrication of it, especially finding micro-vee pulleys to suit your alternator, bottom pulley, and water pump, I'd be wanting to run with them rather than changing the pulley on the charger for a single vee stz one.

blow through would be the biz, carb probably wont work to well though....

Whats the stock compression ratio that will count when it comes to how much boost you can run and how long it will last. The stock carb will probably have vacume secondaries which wont work under boost so all that will need to be modified. May need the jets changed may not though I ran 1600cc N/A jets in my 1600 turbo and it was ok. Other than that its just fitting it all up really that can be a pain.

Yeah that dude ^ knows about turboing things haha.

I would say do it. The carb will be the hardest part as already mentioned just to get it tuned and running right. I know alot of people who have tried turbo carb setups and given up in favour of injection, but if your willing to have a play around and run a well thought out blow thru it should work alright.

I would start off with a pully size to run around 5 pounds and tune it for 98 and then go from there.

They are low compresion 8.5:1 factory so that shouldnt be a problem but yeah tuning it could be challanging. I say do it and tell us what happens cause I have always wondered what would happen if I bolted a supercharger in to my 626. I am already running injected motor in mine which would make it easier but was looking at the bigger supercharger out of a toyota estemia/previa people mover cars. Hope the head injury heals well delanal, Im sitting round recovering from accident related surgery to.

Ha, shall have to have a crack then. Just got an insurance check yesterday under my parents house and contents for all the shit taken out of my car that wasnt bolted or wired in haha. Guy who did the most damage to me's got court today so I might even see some reparation. Shall most definately have a crack at it.

I was thinking I'd just fab up some bracketry to bolt the sucker on,

I did that with a pinto in my capri except I used EFI as it was already on there.

Would that cause any reason to make it pop? Cant be fucked putting money into it just thought I might have a crack for the hell of it.

Do it!

If you want to do a simple blower set up mount the blower, crank pulley, plumbing etc and run a carb in front of the blower suck through style.

Here's my first turbo setup it was suck through.

CARCARB.JPG

A 2 inch SU feeding the turbo then in to the std inlet manifold.

If you run suck through dealing with the carb is way easier as you don't have to worry about presure boxes, colaspsing floats leaking throttle shafts etc.... don't run an intercooler or it might explode if you get a back fire :wink:

the seals dont like petrol.

I've read the same is said about the rotor coating BTW... but then there's also guys that have run suck through for ages, bottom post here http://www.ausmini.com/forums/viewtopic ... 49d2017417

delanal wants cheap and easy which = suck through. Worst case the SC goes tits up after a year or 2 at which point he can change to EFI or blow through and add in an intercooler. $250 for an SC12/14 does it matter :wink:

Modifiy the carb secodaries to mechanical and seal up anywhere where boost can leak out and it should be fine. I would just put a webber on they work well with boost you can buy adapter plates for 2 barrell niki's to weber quite easily. With blow thru you will need a decent pump and boost referanced regulator aswell. As for not useing to much fuel it will drink it mine did was horrid.