EFI_LC's Torana

cute wee gem

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the engine bay is messy at present and more functional than pretty. I will eventually pull the motor down and freshen it and when I do that I will paint the engine bay. I have been lucky with buying the bits and this car is definetely a budget build and I am hoping I have a 13 second quarter miler for under $6000 spent on it.

I have alot to do under the hood when this happens so it will be a summer job and probably coincide with a new WOF first so I have plenty of time.

I am loving this site with heaps of chrome bumper cars :D

looks cool dude i luv these old torries wish i still had mine these blue/black motors respnd well to forced induction too. your already half way there with efi. check out my old one on cardomain

click the top link below

Love your old Torry it looked like it was a real nice show piece, it was interesting that your quickest on street tyres was 14.2 as my 14.3 is on G-Grid II street tyres only 195x60x14 wide.

My goal after I settled on the injection motor was to get it to do a 13 second pass normally aspirated which I am close but may need a rebuild before I achieve it.

My biggest problem to overcome is that the engine fails to rev past about 5200rpm unlike the carby version red motors I have owned that will rev willingly to 6750rpm when breathed. I have an Intercept Link and Tuning Module that I want to try out but to get it revving by the sound of it I will need to get a new ECU and start from scratch. Unless someone knows if I can feed my ECU with a false rev reading so it thinks it is doing 5000rpm but its actually doing 6000rpm.

14.3 nothing to sneeze at out of an old straight 6. i think my GTR would have gone well into the 13s with some better tyres and some 3.5 diff gears only had 3.08 single spinner you can guess what that was like :lol: was in the process of fitting vn lsd disc brake diff when the decision to sell was made. wish i never did. do you know what yours weighs mine weighed 1060kg with me in it me=90kg. was a fair bit lighter than stock with vn motor i think 2drs are a bit lighter than a 4dr too. they are awesome sleepers and running low 14s youd scare plenty of jappas and hsvs :lol: did ya check out my old mk2 corty? that was a beast should have been an easy 12sec car . motor was a bit of a gerenade though had trouble keeping the crank in it . used to suck the sump dry when reved over 6000 used to spin easy to 7500. spun the bearings twice . it had over 300hp on engine dyno. got the shits with the probs i was haveing sold it and brought my current ride a 69 fairlane. bone stock cruza no stress. keep us posted on ya beast. dave

I weighed mine in at 1050KG and have a grand total of just 158 rear wheel horsepower at a lazy 4800rpm.

Yea I tried the 3.08 gears and I thought it was quickish and then tried the 3:55 and immediately picked up the pace and less tyre spin but I have had to learn how to get this little baby off the mark with skinny rubber. I have a VL diff I was thinking of doing but now I have a spare LC/LJ I figure I'll just narrow it and slide some 235's under her instead for now.

I think I will put the Koni shocks on and soften them to the max for Sindays drags (Southern Nationals), Its gonna be a great day with some fkin brilliant cars coming in for a real boys noise day, I will be watching the action and drooling!

The coytina sounds like it had some big problems alright, an old Streetstock I had used to do that every now and then for absolutely no reason as it would suffer from oil surge and lay a thick haze of blue smoke in my 253 HT.

That Fairlane put a smile on my dial as it gave me good memories, always liked em and always will, is it running the standard 302 donk?

• 1 year later...

Well I havn't been about these forums for a while and been having a read of what others have been up to and like the stuff here..

I updated my LC project and decided to go with the best carbs I could find for the old girl, Triple Webers

Plus I am rebuilding the engine from the ground up with lots of goodies.

After I pay the bill for the engine I will then redo the body and paint and then last will be the interior.

The engine comes first in my book as I drive this every week and although its not the tidiest at present it puts a smile on my face and thats what counts for me :)

Good stuff, LC is my favourite shape, I personally like the LC rear lights and the grill (esp when its colour matched - the center stripe)

Got a nice tidy example, the polishing must've taken you awhile (intake etc)

Looks like alot of work has gone into it. Contrary to some peps beliefs around here, the 3.3/202's go pretty damn well.

Cheers,Chris

Heres the babies I bought to power my LC to what I hope is mid to low 13 second 1/4 mile times at around 100mph.

Carbs-1.jpg

I need to shift the battery box so I can fill one side of the engine bay with these.

Carbs-2.jpg

Good solid linkages are needed for multi carbs and these don't come cheap so I was happy they were already on the set up.

Carbs-3.jpg

The ports have been mildly ported, you can see the huge port size difference between the old 9-port heads

They are Weber 45DCOE which come off a street LC 3.3 engine churning out around 325hp!!

Thats 1hp per 10.15cc of engine capacity which in my books is pretty dam good from a motor that was first designed in the late 50's and went into production in the early 60's and without the aid of a crossflow style head to boot.

My aim is at least 280hp and I have been told this could be 300+ but for now I will be happy with 280.

The engine block, modded crank and ACL race series pistons on the stronger Starfire rods are at the engine shop at present and I hope I can pick up next week...

The blank billet cam arrived from OZ yesterday and is being designed, the Roller rockers arrive from oz next week, I have the solid lifters and guide plates. The head needs to have studs for the rockers instead of the factory pedestals which needs to be milled to suit the guide plates as well.

Compression will be raised to around 11.5:1 and only race fuel will used which is good in 2 ways, clean burn and lead to help take the knock out.

The car weighs approx. 1040kg and at present is around 200hp(well not now as the motor is tired) and I have done a best 14.38 @ 94mph in the 1/4.

With hopefully an 80+hp increase and the right conditions who knows what the oldschool engine is capable of. I used to own a similar car in the 80's which had approx. 280bhp and I could pull 13.1 on the smaller triple strombergs.

Well thats enough blab from me.... you can tell I am itching to get it together and sorted though eh.