EFI_LC's Torana

cute wee gem

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shit this thing is lumpy at idle.... get the revs up over about 1800rpm and it pulls like a school boy.

Still got a bit more tidy up to do before I take it in for a WOF Thursday but I can see I'm in for some tyre shredding over the next while :)

Noisy, Nasty lil shit but I like it already and I havn't taken it over about 3500rpm. WOF then maybe a drive to AshVegas and back to run it in. Better make sure a fill my 20 litre with avgas before I go though.

I'll be at the drags this weekend with it as long as I can get enough mileage done between now and then :D\

I'm looking forward to the Waitangi Day Muscle Car drags as well.

• 1 year later...

Ok so this thread hasn't seen an update in a while so thought I better add a bit more.

I have been running the old 202 pretty hard and finally managed 13.5 which I was over the moon with then the next meeting I went out and tried some more tricks which blew me away and now I am about to add the biggest mod to my car since I started this project.

To Date I have run a 13.194@103.21mph

The trouble I have now is total unreliable traction as I have been using a spooled stock open Holden diff. I have now got a fully modded HiLux Diff with Commodore stud pattern to bolt in. I now just need to do the driveshaft and a few more minor mods then I will have to learn how to drive it again.

Other problems I may encounter will be the gearbox and clutch as the extra traction may put paid to the stock Holden units.

• 5 months later...

Well further development of my little beast...

The previous gearbox drama turned out to be nothing and the $80 box survives a bit longer :)

The problem I have had lately is that I broke 2 valve springs about 1 month apart so I am replacing the lot with a better spring but the head needs to be recessed to allow a slightly longer spring.

I will see how i go.

Sounded simply brilliant when you were leaving the carpark meet, friday. Somewhat rather angry..

You dont happen to have some front/rear Springs you'd part with? any description would be fine, standard etc etc..

Looks better on the commodore alloys too!

Sounded simply brilliant when you were leaving the carpark meet, friday. Somewhat rather angry..

You dont happen to have some front/rear Springs you'd part with? any description would be fine, standard etc etc..

Looks better on the commodore alloys too!

I actually have a full set of standard springs in my shed along with other bits of suspension pieces.

I have a couple of slightly stiffer front springs than the ones I am using now but I will keep these until after I have track tested it... If I ever get it on a circuit.

• 2 months later...
any way you could lighten the car any further in order to help achieve a quicker 1/4 mile pass?

Its fairly lite now thats why it can perform so well as its not overly powerful compared to a modern engine. Without losing its street ability not sure other than the driver losing weight. ;)

Run a triple sidies carby turbo setup. I freakin' dare you!

I wouldn't even now how you would go about that, but maybe something like this might work......

Picture478.jpg

Picture479.jpg

Yea BG do it :)

Well The Summer Nationals came and I had a go with the new rear end setup and was pleased with it.

I still have to remove my diffhead and get it tightened before next time so I can get some consistancy in rear wheel grip particularly in the burnouts. I was still able to do a couple of 2.0 and a 1.9 60ft but I want to be 1.8 consistant

I finished with a best time of 13.4@101mph and feel if I tried a few more tweaks this could have been 13.2 but I will try that next time.

The front left wheel is getting light off the line so the rear is sinking nicely, I notice it particularly when I go from 1st to 2nd.

I also have a trick I used to use but havn't done it for a while that I will do again in an attempt to smooth the starts for next time as well. Also I will have to try and find a front sway bar to try and transfer some of that left front lift.

I dropped my mate off at his house and took off normally then while i was moving grabbed some throttle and popped the clutch and honestly thought I popped a wheelstand the front came up so quick, I thought dam if I could launch like that I would be getting 1.6 60 ft times lol...

So things to do before next time:

Diff tighten

Clutch set up

Plugs check

Carb linkage check

You wouldnt have heard it cos you were racing mate, but the out of towners who were comentating the event were talking about your car when you were racing. You did a stout burnout, and they said we don't have the stats on what this car's running in front of us, but I'd say by the look of that it must be running an 8! I lol'd about that one. :badgrin:

You wouldnt have heard it cos you were racing mate, but the out of towners who were comentating the event were talking about your car when you were racing. You did a stout burnout, and they said we don't have the stats on what this car's running in front of us, but I'd say by the look of that it must be running an 8! I lol'd about that one. :badgrin:

LOL.... A couple of years ago it was described by the Northern Commentators as a Nissan engine as well ;)

I wonder what they will think when I actually ge the diff really working then I will show em a burnout.

@BG ;)

You actually might have cause me to do something similar, I am going to price a decompression plate this week.

I would need a fair bit of new stuff tho and thats not in my budget at present.

• 2 months later...

Shit, you'd be beaming with that trap speed mate!

TBH, I'm a litle suprised at you 60ft time. I had thought you might have been a whisker quicker out of the hole. Out of curiousity, what is you PB 60ft time?

Your now comfortably able to run a full second quicker than my comfortable best time. (Excluding those freak days when everyone runs stupidly fast) Looks like I got some work to do to catch up to ya!

heaven forbid you should ever switch to a spool, and some DOT slicks. You'd be way way way out of reach then. As things are I still hold a glimmer of hope of catching up to you. (One day :rolleyes: )

Shit, you'd be beaming with that trap speed mate!

TBH, I'm a litle suprised at you 60ft time. I had thought you might have been a whisker quicker out of the hole. Out of curiousity, what is you PB 60ft time?

Your now comfortably able to run a full second quicker than my comfortable best time. (Excluding those freak days when everyone runs stupidly fast) Looks like I got some work to do to catch up to ya!

heaven forbid you should ever switch to a spool, and some DOT slicks. You'd be way way way out of reach then. As things are I still hold a glimmer of hope of catching up to you. (One day :rolleyes: )

Thanx mate, I was thinking when I drove back after the run... that felt like a good run....then when i saw the time I thought dam it, slow out of the blocks and then i saw the mph and the jaw dropped.

I am pulling the diff out to get the doctor to fix it and might try a top gear burnout next time as those 3rd gear ones produce lotsa blue stuff ;)

I took the car to Nelson for the Easter meet as I posted on my other thread and was pretty dam happy with what I achieved.

I am in touch with some very good Torana 6 people and from what I can gather this baby is a flyer, especially with the little thats been done to the engine.

The only change I did to achieve its first 105mph trap speed was to change to a close ratio M21 Holden box, the pros of this is that it closes the big jump from 3rd to 4th so it is on the cam the entire time but the cons are 1st gear is considerably taller so I rely on the torque until the speed is up so my launches are a bit softer which I am going to work on at the next meeting on the 18th.

I am going to try and lower my 60ft and 660ft times, I honestly think 4/10s of a second is not going to be achieved but I feel maybe 2/10 might be getable.

Nelson time slip:

Reaction Time: .540

60ft time: 2.162

660ft speed: 83.49

660ft time: 8.684

1/4 mph: 105.39

1/4 time: 13.403