2.0 block 1.6 head gasket problems

Eskorted

Hey guys

Ive got a 2L pinto in my scort and desided to get a 1600 head got a light port job done and got a fr32 cam with new rockers valves ect.

now 2 head gaskets later it keeps blowing and pours water into the third cylinder, consistantly the same cylinder. also should note that both have done it after about 20-30mins of running.

so ive tried the 2L gasket and 1.6L gasket and both wont have any of it.

I gues the main question is. wich is the correct head gasket to use and what els could cause this???

Many thanks in advance!

Don

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm n00b as at head probs, but I've read alot of stuff on gemini motors and the heads can get soft, resulting in similar problems to what you are mentioning. I'm not even sure if they will be made of the same material but just an idea.

These fellas were checking the heads and they looked perfect, but it turns out you can do a test on the casting material and it sometimes weakens meaning you will always blow the head gaskets. Apparantly cryo freezing fixes them?

ke20 & cam: yea she has to 12" electric fans bolted to the radiator. and we hooked up oil gauge to it. never got hotter than over half and oil was minta

mikunu u raise a good point.

maybe what i should of mentiond is near the end of the breakin in sesion the manifold was glowing bright orange. we thought wed run the standard one while breakin it in. now the temp guage wasnt hot but could the head of goten to hot with the manifold get so fucking hot??

It almost just sounds like you may have a cooling problem. The temp guage usually sits in the thermo/water ways, so if your waterpump isn't working it will look like its not getting hot and just cook the motor.

I know thats a pretty simple problem but I've heard of it happening before. I've never seen a manifold get to that temperature from idling aye.

What compression you running? Sounds way too high. Im runnning just over 10.5:1 and it runs mint as. I use the 2l head gasket with mine.

I have new h20 pump and new thermo. I ran the same cam in at 2500RPM for 15mins with no electric fan and nothing got hot. Then took it for drive for another 10 mins at 2500RPM. You have a cooling problem I would say..

Just putting a straight endge on the head or block wont show much warpage. Need to get it checked or decked to be sure. This will add more compression.

What valves and lash caps did you use?

Thats more than a cooling issue, probably too much compression as said above. And if somethings warped I'd check the head out first as thats the latest addition to the motor, but it might of warped the block aswel by now with that sort of heat :?

^^ yeap cant member exact numbers but sounds about right to me.

If it hadnt had any meat taken from chambers it will pop head gaskets all the time due to high comp.

BUT if it was running comp that high it wouldnt start of standard starter and also would struggle to run on 98gas..? Would want c16 or avgas and some hearty timing mods.

Did it pink at all?

well we took it off and discoverd this...

CRACK.jpg

after 17 hours of fucking around port work and shiz. definatly wasnt there when we where working it. cause i was cleaning it up good and would of seen a crack that big.

the 1million dolor question is what caused it? could it of been on its way? with the extra comp and port work ect would it of just helped an existing problem just get worse?

o well so you learn. next time i will definatly get it crack tested before i do anything!

Thanks very much for all the input!

cheers guys.

ps meth those fr32 cams idle awesome ay. very choice cam!