4A-GTE decomp plate or low comp pistons

Guest safe_as_can_be

Guest safe_as_can_be

Hi,

Looking into turboing my 4A-GE and am at the stage of getting C/R's sorted for the forced induction.

In many cases a decomp plate would be the sweet easy way out of lowering the compression, but what are the overheads of this?

Also seeing as my engine has some 300K's on the clock already :cry: , is it worth spending $ on it to do the pistons, and i spose do the bearings etc... :?:

One off the topic question to add, what are the advantages of getting the engine ballenced, costs involved & work required?

Any input on the suject(s) would be a great help!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Basically balancing will let the engine rev out more freely. It is more benificial in old high rev engines as old engines werent balanced as much from new. It is a must if you want to pull big revs. For the price of it I would do it.

Decompression plates can sometimes have trouble sealing and this is their downfall. 300k Id definatly do a recon of internals.

Guest safe_as_can_be

Hey yeah, although im not to sure if 4A-GZE pistons would fit? This is an early 4A-GEU, i know they have a 18mm gudgeon pin, so would have to swap rods aswell, but what im not sure on is whether they would fit on my crankshaft?

Ok, will deff look at doing internals, bearings, seals, gaskets, pistons (whether i deside to go new or just do the rings)....anything iv missed out while im at it?

Turbo to be...

td04l0067au.jpg

td04l0050zn.jpg

td04l0038ig.jpg

Looks in good nick, but looks can be deceving. Ill find out soon enough... 8)

Guest safe_as_can_be

...just looked it up and GZE pistons wont fit! Bigend sizes are different :cry: .

There are a set of new 4A-GE pistons on trademe at the mo, New Era brand,sounds a bit cheap & nasty, anyone got any info to back me up on this :?:

...just looked it up and GZE pistons wont fit! Bigend sizes are different :cry: .

There are a set of new 4A-GE pistons on trademe at the mo, New Era brand,sounds a bit cheap & nasty, anyone got any info to back me up on this :?:

i guess its a bluetop/redtop tvis?

like bistro said, get all the ZE internals. they would be stronger anyway.

most people tend to turbo the later model redtop small ports or 20v's so i guess this is why the ZE pistons wont fit. i wouldnt skimp on them tho. stock 4age ones or directreplacements wouldnt take much punishment, of course if your on low boost its all good tho.

i'd find a gze block and rebuild that.. decomp plates suck... there plenty other ways to drop compression.. eg milling head out or pistons down...

if wanting to do it on the cheap maybe you can use gze rings on your pistons they are the same bore afterall? maybe different ring thickness tho?

run a bluetop (you prolly already are)

just get a lowish km one, chuck all your rwd shit on it, turbo it, set up timing and fueling to suit. there's a cunt up aucks way that gets 300hp plus on stock bluetop, stock ecu with extra injector, and mega boost. they last well alledgedly.

do it

alternatively, 20v bottom end (same rods and crank as gze, high comp though, and cunts charge the earth for 4agzes it seems), throw gze pistons at it and bluetop head with external oil drain for the head so you dont starve the bottom end etc.

or jsut get an ae101 4agze and turb

easy as fcuk. 4a engines = lego as fuck

run a bluetop (you prolly already are)

just get a lowish km one, chuck all your rwd shit on it, turbo it, set up timing and fueling to suit. there's a cunt up aucks way that gets 300hp plus on stock bluetop, stock ecu with extra injector, and mega boost. they last well alledgedly.

do it

I think that is his plan. except no new eng lmao

meet mr cuntd haha

easy way to turbo power

20 valve bottom end with ze pistons

large turbo sereis 4 rx7 with rb 20 exhasut housing works well

after market ecu with 14 psi should be looking at around 180kw

more power can esily be achived with more boost ad tuning

ive been there done this now converting my ae85 to 3sgte need more tourque at low rev

4agtes are fucking insane thou if you want good info check out

http://www.garagedori.com both Matt Gill and Karl have achived impressive power from stock blues think Matt got around 170kw from a stock blue top

www.garagedori.com both Matt Gill and Karl have achived impressive power from stock blues think Matt got around 170kw from a stock blue top

What you mean a stock blue top. Stock internals I take it?

easy way to turbo power

20 valve bottom end with ze pistons

large turbo sereis 4 rx7 with rb 20 exhasut housing works well

after market ecu with 14 psi should be looking at around 180kw

more power can esily be achived with more boost ad tuning

easy but expensive

yes when i stock internal i mean stock untouched blue tops

you say expensive, i say not really most of the parts can be purchased second hand the pistons are like 400 from toyota how much is a sereis 4 turbo 400 bucks at the most a mega squirt ecu is like 600 bit of hard work and your away and laughing