diy car painting

Guest Scheme

im doin my lancer in my garage

youve gotta spend time prepping

get lots of primer and sum crap paint for a guide coat

smover the car im primer then a quick splater of guide coat and sand it back till all the guide coat has gone

for dents bash them out the best you can and bog em over

painting cars is a real mission to do it semi properly uve gota strip evry thing off it and pop the windows out

just workin on mine in weekends has taken like 2 months and im allmost finished prepping

good luck

I got a big 3hp belt driven compressor with a 50 litre tank and a gravity feed spray gun, got all the sprayin equipment I need. Prep is the hardest part I aggree.

Must get it all sanded down to a nice surface and attend to all minor imperfections.

so u jus gota sand it bak, prime it, guide coat it thn sand it bak again thn prime again thn paint?? im geting paint, primer and lacker 4 free n thinking bout doin it myself

• 2 weeks later...
Guest azzmann

if the car already has paint and clear cote on it before u want 2 re-spray, hit it with wet and dry paper, then sand it back and undercoat the body, then ur free 2 do wahtever. :D

if the car already has paint and clear cote on it before u want 2 re-spray, hit it with wet and dry paper, then sand it back and undercoat the body, then ur free 2 do wahtever. :D

True, if it is a new car and no bog or panel work is needed then all you have to do is scotchbright the clearcoat back and then paint. no primmer needed. but if you have crazy cracks, dents or bog patches then forget that idea and the hard way comes into play.

Guest WESTCORT

forget wet and dry, its a thing of the past.

get 3m pads for stripping paint, attach to your drill, and your away.

depending on if u want to take it back to bare metal then go hard, but if you just wanna take back the clear coat then just take the gloss off with the 3m pad, thats what im doing then primer paint lcearcoat etc

but yeah dont bother with wet and dry its a waste of time unless u need it to ge inbetween tight spaces then u dont really have a choice

did mine in a couple days.. just a quicky coz it looked like shit multi coloured.

gave it a good scrub then scotched it with jif which adds to the abrasive.. or 400grit paper. washed n dried it off. leave overnight. masked up what doesnt need painting. made sure garage is free of dust.. i vacuum the concrete coz sweeping only stirs it up. just before painting wipe it down with 'wax and grease remover'. this gets rid of anything not sanded or paint wont stick too well. need heaps of light so see what ya painting. need good ventilation or respirators or you'll be feeling pretty warm n buzzy. im no painter not by a long shot but anywho... some tips.. start off with a very light puff coat or a few depending if you think the original paint will react too much.. (starting with a full wet coat on old paint or primer tends to cause crazy cracks n stuff as it desolves the original paint i think). start light and then lay it on thicker and thicker with each coat finishing with a full wet coat. this was with matt black heh.

ke70scrub.jpg

ke70painted.jpg

ke70-124.jpg