Chrome trim installation

NickJ

So how does this trim on the Datsun go in?

9E16BF17-62C8-4100-8987-BC2BD97B5BAD.jpeg.171c1a575544e849ea58caabe928f3ea.jpegE75F6232-E7E5-4DA6-863E-811CD7625844.jpeg.be0707a95bd57243ed41b99e9ec6ac59.jpeg

if I fit the trim to the rubber first it comes out fitting to the window.

fit the rubber to the window then I can’t get any useful tool in to lift the rubber to fit the trim.

Kinda stuck, but somehow they got it in the factory?

Or recommendations for an oldschool glass fitter in chch?

4 minutes ago, Raizer said:

There's a proper tool for getting them in after the screen is in.

image-placeholder-title.webp

Nah, not quite unfortunately, thats a different profile, had plenty of people say the same tool, this trim holds by one side only and the trim isn’t flexible.

Its a really, really frustrating time. I inserted trim into rubber and periodically wrapped masking tape around it help hold while i wrestled the screen in. The tape will usually break when the glass gets pushed against it. Some areas will ping out but at least its not the whole damn piece.

Helps to get some spare hands 

• Like 1

Repco morrie rubber was impossible (after enough complaints they changed the profile apparently and now it works) 

Warming the rubber may help you over the edge. I ended up putting a few dabs of sealant under the trim and holding it in place before moving to the next section

Ended up getting a commercial glass fitter mate over for a second set of hands, we wound up making some tools from 0.6mm stainless steel to pry the gap open as the other person fed the trim in.

Got 99% in using straight dish soap, made a mess, corners are almost impossible.

Still managed to tear a small section, thankfully under the trim.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NickJ said:

Ended up getting a commercial glass fitter mate over for a second set of hands, we wound up making some tools from 0.6mm stainless steel to pry the gap open as the other person fed the trim in.

Got 99% in using straight dish soap, made a mess, corners are almost impossible.

Still managed to tear a small section, thankfully under the trim.

Good you got it sorted.

When I do that sorta stuff at work it's usually a 3 person job.

One pulled the rope inside and 2 hold the glass/trim and keep it feeding in properly  

It's always a mega cunt of a job 

• Like 2