McKenzie Moped Melee - March 2024

RUNAMUCK

nbc110, have replaced gearbox bearings, centrifugal clutch unit, cam chain and rollers.

loud whining noise when in gear.

was like that when i got it, ex Dunedin postie bike with about 65000 ks on it.

frame was broken at the swing arm pivot.

has been ridden into the ground in anger by a postie.

@RUNAMUCK

• Sad 1

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The perfect bike for a 700km bush bash

6 hours ago, governorsam said:

nbc110, have replaced gearbox bearings, centrifugal clutch unit, cam chain and rollers.

loud whining noise when in gear.

was like that when i got it, ex Dunedin postie bike with about 65000 ks on it.

frame was broken at the swing arm pivot.

has been ridden into the ground in anger by a postie.

@RUNAMUCK

drop the muffler off and you wont hear the whine

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, RUNAMUCK said:

Holy shit! 

From eleven months down to one! I better do my winter lay away maintenance on my bike! 

Actually, ive done nothing to it. Im not even sure if it has a wof! 

Ffffffffffffff........ 

Nope, thats expired.

:cry:

• Like 1

It was touch and go for me too but after a sequence of events and borrowing an RG coil it's alive again.... Now to assemble and take a link out of the chain and test the new gearing.... tomorrows another day :) I have the camper with a new CSC & COF. Just need to check the lights all work on my bike carrier. I might take it fishing next week to test it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, holdenman said:

It was touch and go for me too but after a sequence of events and borrowing an RG coil it's alive again.... Now to assemble and take a link out of the chain and test the new gearing.... tomorrows another day :) I have the camper with a new CSC & COF. Just need to check the lights all work on my bike carrier. I might take it fishing next week to test it

Did you properly fix your clutch cable?

Or is it still the bodge from last year?

1 hour ago, RUNAMUCK said:

Did you properly fix your clutch cable?

Or is it still the bodge from last year?

if it aint broke dont touch it.... actually i bought a brand cable installed it and first pull the end crumbled, so back to the backup one and i am carrying a spare. I need to take it up to the cable guy and get a new end

• Like 3

damn near thought it was today, and was expecting tail-end charlie on a blind corner over Dansey's.
looked like some other crew out for a postie bike run ?

unless graded prior, some of the steeper sections are corrugated to buggery , and will be a handfull.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This year guys can we try and be more self sufficient, carry all your own gear.

Last year we ended up with so much gear in the support vehicles they were stacked to the roof! This year we just can't be doing that, they're going to need to travel light just to try and keep up with us. Plus I reckon it's more of an adventure if you can do it on your own. 

The support vehicles are there for breakdowns and bbqs, and imo we're very grateful to have them. 

Just to give you an idea, if you're not sure, this is the gear I took on the recce in April. 

Screenshot_20240204_193255_Gallery.jpg.5fe4dd0c45c1b122bfa617ccb92ea77a.jpg

That's

3 pairs undies, 4 pairs socks, thermal top and leggings, 2x long sleeve sports type shirts, 2x sports type t-shirts (one has some merino in it), Polar fleece jersey, jacket and pants rain gear, and a beanie. (Toothbrush not pictured)(also towel, I just remembered) 

And that all fits in a 30l dry bag easy

Screenshot_20240204_193934_Gallery.jpg.95dc5f4db228db63f48dad8d75e756d2.jpg

(Last year I also had small cooker, gas canister, small pot, and freeze dry meals in there too)

I'm obviously not including motorbike jacket and pants because I'll be wearing them, and some of those clothes ^

So that and 2 person tent and bedroll looks like this

20230407_121728.thumb.jpg.ffd4c562f1bb11ffccc9e914ceb7dc47.jpg

Backpack has camelback and snacks.

I did have a tank bag but that was mostly tools, phone charger, and lunch but you won't be needing that. 

It can be warm in the valleys and cold up top on the ridges. I ended up wearing the thermals, long and short shirts, Polar fleece under bike gear, and rain pants over bike pants. (The bike pants I took were a cotton Kevlar cargo pants so not warm to begin with. And it was April, I don't know if that made a difference) 

I try avoid cotton t-shirts, they soak up sweat and will make you cold.

• Like 6

The sleeping bag is a mountain warehouse unit and I rate it. Has its own compression sack and is cheap af

20240204_113056.thumb.jpg.c31d775701a90770b108a2f293275929.jpg

Also mountain warehouse has cheap rain gear in their own tiny stuff sack cheap too