LGs 1975 Ironhead Café Racer tidy up

Lord Gruntfuttock

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems I'm missing the compensator sprocket (as per pic below)
HYm8or9.jpg

But consensus is they're not necessary (a lot of people remove them) and it's another tool I don't need to make to remove it. Whizzed off the front sprocket nut with the 18V impact, made up some shonky lock plates out of scrap and locked the clutch basket/sprockets together...
yipl6lb.jpg

Didn't have a 1-1/2" socket for the clutch hub nut, but a mate had a 38mm one that would save me a trip into town, except it didn't as I had to go grab a 1/2 to 3/4 drive adapter. Tried undoing the nut with a pry bar but my lightweight lock plates started bending, so used rattle gun again and all came apart. Pulled the sprockets and chain off together, using a puller on the front sprocket, and it all looks pretty clean...
xxZVbLX.jpg

And a simple job to pry out the seal behind the front sprocket that I thought was causing a problem (primary case filling with oil). Apart from being a bit hard, there was no obvious point of failure, can still read the part number too...
X6UQRSN.jpg

There's a spacer around it, slightly damaged from previous work by the looks, but inner surface seems ok. For the life of me though I can't figure out how it's supposed to seal around the splines?
5oK0RZN.jpg

Time for some research...

[Edit] Dumb. The sprocket goes on splines and seal is around sprocket... :grin:

• Like 5

I was gonna say that early Ironheads (76 and earlier) had a transfer valve between primary and crank. This often fails and needs to be blocked. But I can see its got some Kneed-it mashed in there in the last pic.

Most people seem to block this off as it often fails then fills the primary with oil if your oil pump check valve is weak. So when the bike sits, the oil drains into the crank, then through his hole and into the primary. And when the bike is running, it just blows oil through into the primary.

The early ironheads actually had a timed oil pump !!?! It had a rotating shaft in the bottom of the crank case that had a slot that aligned/opend to the crank when the pistons were coming down (positive crank case pressure) so the crank pressure would push the oil out.
This oil transfer valve would work the other way. Negative crank case pressure would suck from the primary through this valve.

Maybe have a go at re-plugging it, or take that putty out and actually put a screw in it to make sure its proper sealed. Or replace it.

With the transfer valve plugged, you'll need to vent the trans/primary though one of the top bolt holes for engine mount. Later Ironheads had special breather bolt (a hollow bolt with a nipple on top that vented to the oil cap).

Edit:
Vent bolt part number: 34744-77

Transfer valve info: http://sportsterpedia.com/doku.php/techtalk:ih:oil01

• Like 2

Yeah ta, that pic is deceptive, actually a fine mesh, just been pushed in...
5TEwuWc.jpg

And already got a vented bolt on top of the case...
bOWPNJ8.jpg

I've re-seated the check ball in the pump so that should minimise leaking (sumping), and I expect some to drain in there, that gets pumped back when running - but if I leave it sitting there's several litres that has to be drained out. I'll replace the seal and check that transfer valve and see how we go.

Cheers for the advice though, appreciate it... :thumbleft:

• Like 2

Haha, looks like an oily fingerprint in some epoxy putty. lol.

Hopefully the ball valve will fix the wet sumping!. Which would lead to the primary filling problem if the transfer valve isnt working properly. Smoking barrel?? fingers crossed.

Weird you've already got a breather. Wonder if that is messing with the transfer valve operation/probably not.

• Like 2

Discovered I had a cam tensioner pad in one of my gasket kits so fitted it. Of course I discovered this the day after I ordered one...
EDGFPWh.jpg

Pulled the gearcase (cam) cover. Was aware of losing bits so took it very carefully, easing off the cover.
Careful...
WTBIfNU.jpg

Careful...
EefWnx7.jpg

Arse...
cJyPMby.jpg

KiqUdWM.jpg

And that was even trying to keep the gears in place with a long screwdriver as I removed cover. Not the biggest deal as I'd probably remove them to clean/inspect things anyway, and at least all the shims stayed in place so I knew where they all go...
GQ7PGIN.jpg

There's a blob of weld from what I assume is an old repair on the underside of the cover, it's in an unobtrusive place so debated leaving it, but decided to give it a tickle up with a file...
imDRfBZ.jpg

N46PG4l.jpg

7pgJYng.jpg

And gasket surfaces cleaned up...
n5ZAiay.jpg

I'll leave it here while I look into cam timing methods, not sure how I'll rotate engine yet, but will sort that out...

• Like 8

Put nut back on main shaft and can rotate engine no worries, will sort timing next. And turns out that weld is a factory Harley thing, added after drilling out an oil passage during construction. Apparently HD put out a service note stating you can discard the shims as they can fail and send bits of metal through the engine. Will look into that.
Also hit the case on the buffer wheel for about 5 mins... :)

92g0ton.jpg

• Like 9

Had a thought last night about wiring the new ignition, yep no way could I get the wires through the teeny hole, so pulled cover again and drilled out. Took it in stages to avoid breaching the casting, and 7mm does the trick...
JIGrqMe.jpg

uEkLywO.jpg 

Cleaned up the swarf and put cover back on loosely. Should prob check the lifters next... 

• Like 7

Been wrenchin...
Tried to pull apart the rocker covers, what a drama. Bit of heat got them apart enough to get out, but struggling to get the o-ring end screw out of the shaft...
dH2adQl.jpg

o0ch8fw.jpg

Tried heat and a rattle gun/allen key but no joy, then tried drilling and tapping a thin piece of scrap and screwing the acorn nut up tight, still nothing. Scared of stripping the thread so stopped...
BqNlJs8.jpg

Centre drilled then drilled out the screw to see if it helped, makes it easier to get penetrating oil in there anyway...
WUEhRxy.jpg

QPlwiBv.jpg

Not sure of screw size so only drilled a small hole through, currently soaking in penetrant while I look at other things...

Filed the show side of the first cover flat as it was pretty rough...
VxWo81k.jpg

Followed up with a block and different grades of paper and some elbow grease...
EcrTrnI.jpg

Then a few minutes on the wheel and looks much better...
H3J0dRj.jpg

Also looked at fitting some rearsets, as I'm a bit cramped with standard pegs. Want to do away with the awkward '75 cross-shaft gear linkage too, maybe use that for the brake. Will be a right-foot change backwards pattern potentially...
Jg0PUxd.jpg

Want them to be about here ideally...
pfIcxit.jpg

Would be so easy without the pipes and kick-start being in the way, just fabricate a bracket bolted to the two holes on bottom rear of frame. Guess I'll wait till things are back in to see what is possible...

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Waiting on parts but been doing a bit. Gave engine a rattle can rebuild...
Wd8UJkb.jpg

CDKsIkn.jpg

And looked at my kicker install, I'd bought a used clutch basket ages ago with the kicker ratchet attached, as I'd heard they were better quality than the pressed steel ones in the kit. I thought it'd be an easy clean and install job, till I looked at them both and realised the 'new' one didn't have the starter gear... 
1NU5nrM.jpg

So was either remove the starter gear and weld it to the replacement clutch basket, or fit the starter ratchet to my one, I'm more confident in my drilling and tapping than my welding so took that route. Started by machining up a spacer out of aluminium, using an old bearing for sizing up on the lathe. Got to use my awesome little power hacksaw too... :)
LzKOYEQ.jpg

xFMkZym.jpg

tPkWozV.jpg

Successfully centred...
TYeKuER.jpg

There were a few weld splatters on the flat surface so took them off with a sanding disc...
y3AdvMP.jpg

And fitted the first screw. Used M5 countersunks as easily available. Quite hard to tap as drilled 4mm instead of recommended 4.2mm and it's hard steel, but got there, with lots of backing off to clear the threads...
rP1gCBs.jpg

Drilled the others out after marking the centres...
tHX4b0z.jpg

And all done, loosely buttoned up...
5tQOxSh.jpg

I might replace these stainless screws with black allen head ones yet, also unsure if the screws going though will cause any issues? 
wZW7RnC.jpg

I'll look at the clutch parts/reassemble to see if I need to cut these down flush, but some progress anyway...

• Like 5

Looks like no issues with protruding screws, will clean the edges of the holes and loctite the screws in later...
YtzYik4.jpg

Started installing kicker hardware, there was a blanking plug in the case blocking the shaft hole...
IEc3TZX.jpg

And the bush and oil seal were already in there. The round pin lower left is the thrust plate retainer...
zVZqQq5.jpg

Slid the shaft in with shim and thrust plate...
M1jwuqQ.jpg

Other side, square one is the kickstart shaft, the round stop pin was already in the case...
7W8CQCo.jpg

First piece in, the gear on the shaft...
0d5Thq0.jpg

And the ratchet engaging gear, spacer and spring on...
pIBV1JS.jpg

Was all going too well, the new sprocket cover with kickstart shaft bushing fouls the shift operating arm (RHS of pic). These arms are only on the 75 models that have a horrible crossover shaft system as they changed from right foot shift...
Njer86P.jpg

Difference in old and new covers is obvious...
OeWDYm4.jpg

So I notched the strengthening web casting of the cover and trimmed the edges slightly for clearance. Hope this doesn't weaken things too much as they are prone to cracking anyway...
QDaPMlB.jpg

Should have enough clearance for the chain now, can adjust further when back in the bike if required...
JcYwbDD.jpg

• Like 5

Rad!

The amount of force on that sprocket cover bush is mental. Cutting away the cover may cause it to break. It was a real problem with the 77 covers. HD actually released a fix for it. A little bolt on bracket to add support for the bushed area of the sprocket cover.
These are only for the 77 and are also NLA. I made my own one for my bike. Wonder if you should do something similar while its all appart?

Look like this:
image.png.53f10f03aabe778d597dee8c22f82561.png

Will need to figure out a way to mount it to your sprocket cover. But then you can wail on that kicker with no worries about it giving way!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1