LGs 1975 Ironhead Café Racer tidy up

Lord Gruntfuttock

1 hour ago, Lord Gruntfuttock said:

Fuck knows. Just what someone would pay really. Just had a xmas lunch conversation with my brother about cafés being worth less than what the donor bike being tidied up would be worth now. Particularly 70s Hondas etc...

Very true. Quite possible an original ironhead in tidy nick would be worth more than post cafe work.  HD nuts go for originality. And HD are not a traditional base for cafe racers.

I get pretty disappointed at the taste shown by some modern cafe builders - particularly when they then try and sell their crap on trademe.

This one is well done though. I do like it.

• Thanks 1

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...

So after falling for a parts scam, I wrote it off to experience and looked at ordering gear from eBay, from a seller I'd used before. Parts are pretty cheap but postage can be a killer. Before xmas I decided to see if removing 3 springs would be a viable interim option. Whipped out the clutch tool, but disappointingly the primary case was again overfull of oil. I'd seated the pump check ball, replaced the engine main seal, fitted a generator oil slinger and installed the starter solenoid rubber boot that was missing, so a bit baffling. Someone here suggested it may be a worn oil pump shaft, I dunno...?
D2mYhLb.jpg

I pulled 3 of the 6 springs and buttoned things up again, was quietly confident until this happened...
KzkXWcu.jpg

Arse. Completely my own fault, was rushing to get a ride in to test things and instead of using a small spanner I'd wailed on these 1/4" nuts with a socket, just missed the point when it snugged up to the spacer, so bent it and snapped a stud... :(
LeUCzmg.jpg

I looked at machining up a new stud and spacers, but decided to add a new basket and spacers to my spring order, parked the bike, and went camping with the kids over xmas/new years.
Was a good break, and I got to wear my new clutch spring/sunglasses... B)

Anyway, parts arrived yesterday...
UO8dMNK.jpg

And was nice installing new bits...
ulOpdrI.jpg

RFo21GS.jpg

Quick ride around the section showed a good improvement, clutch seemed to operate cleanly, and less effort required at the lever. Won't know till I give her a good run through town, but encouraging...

• Like 2

No idea if it's relevant to these engines but the first thing you do on a Ducati single is rebuild the oil pump. Bronze bushes with no seals so wear lets oil piss out and fill the side case. In your case I'd assume it's drain down from the tank ?