How to check if shocks are bad, off the car?

tomble

Hey peeps, I've got a couple pairs of rear shocks (Starion).

The clean set is from my resto project and they're both leaky, so I feel confident calling them toast :)

The dirty set is from my parts car and as far as I can tell aren't leaking.  However I realise I've never actually had known bad and known good shocks to play with and compare against.  How can I tell if they're still good?

D1DeNKO.jpg

20 minutes ago, tomble said:

Hey, I don't mean to question you - I was curious and found this assertion for oil shocks?

image.png.a26f2d9b2dbdf03a56c83b265237fa20.png

You'd be hard pressed (heh) to find much that is modern with oil shocks, most will have (or had) gas in them. I believe the last ones I had were on my old Classic Mini and even then they offered a lot of resistance to pushing and pulling the piston rod. Check the stamped markings on the strut housing, ones with gas in them will usually say not to cut or heat.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, kws said:

You'd be hard pressed (heh) to find much that is modern with oil shocks, most will have (or had) gas in them. I believe the last ones I had were on my old Classic Mini and even then they offered a lot of resistance to pushing and pulling the piston rod. Check the stamped markings on the strut housing, ones with gas in them will usually say not to cut or heat.

I disassembled the fronts and can confirm they're oil, I assume the rears are also (and they are leaking oil!)

1 hour ago, tomble said:

Unfortunately it'll be a bit more spenny than that for me!  

I thought someone made replacements? Think it was in that link but haven't checked. That seemed like the best value way to go. If you are doing up a car, especially an old one and reusing old shocks, they'll need replacing at some point even if it's not today. So do it once, do it right. If they are knackered, the car will never handle well.

I had a shock blow out while on a long road trip. Couldn't work out why the car no longer wanted to stay on the road on corners, scarily so. A seal had gone I think and all of the oil had pissed out. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bling said:

I thought someone made replacements? Think it was in that link but haven't checked. That seemed like the best value way to go. If you are doing up a car, especially an old one and reusing old shocks, they'll need replacing at some point even if it's not today. So do it once, do it right. If they are knackered, the car will never handle well.

I had a shock blow out while on a long road trip. Couldn't work out why the car no longer wanted to stay on the road on corners, scarily so. A seal had gone I think and all of the oil had pissed out. 

Yeah, I know it needs doing at some point.  My hope was that the old ones had enough life in them to reuse initially while I recover $$$ and figure out what ride height I want.

14 hours ago, tomble said:

I know, but I'd want to get shocks to match

yes, so if you have a 'soft' shock, then find approriate spring to set height, and either get the originals rebuilt/replaced.
unless going stupid low between warrants, would waste my time with coil-overs unless there are other items needing cert

• Like 1