keltiks' 1980s Ross 35

keltik

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A bit of progress but it's all stuff that doesn't photograph easily.

Let's start with the race results;

nsHwLSP.jpeg

So we have a DNF, A didn't start, 2nd place and 3rd.  One more race to hold onto third place in the series.

Trying to find somewhere friendly with a gantry crane so I can lift the keel out the top to antifoul paint it so I can leave the boat moored for a few months over summer.  Can only drop it down 12inches on the trailer before it hits the axle so will have to come out the top.  Plan B is to get the marina travel-lift to hold the boat for an hour while I slap some paint on... But that will be money.

Got the solar panel hooked up and the engine charging circuit.

04s8LhL.jpeg

Added some hanging wardrobe organisers for storing odds n ends.

QkGF56C.jpeg

Cabin lighting sorted with a single white/red light in the fore cabin and some LED strips in the saloon.

i3zYYkG.jpeg

iz8yz6e.jpeg

The LED strips drew a bit more current than expected so added a switch to the port side lights so you can run half if you don't need max intensity.

Next up, new seat squabs for the interior, fit the shitter and hopefully some more reliable instruments.  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, keltik said:

Trying to find somewhere friendly with a gantry crane so I can lift the keel out the top to antifoul paint it so I can leave the boat moored for a few months over summer.  Can only drop it down 12inches on the trailer before it hits the axle so will have to come out the top.  Plan B is to get the marina travel-lift to hold the boat for an hour while I slap some paint on... But that will be money.

What sorta height you need to achieve? And weight? The digger is currently functional, or a tractor, or I also have a 3phase endless chain (if you have something to hang it from and a power source).

The old keltik would have leapt at a hairbrained and sketchy way achieve goal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Things to do;

Move the cockpit spinnaker winches so they don't jab you in the hip when you sit down.

Keep an eye on the trademe for some second hand instruments.

Take a little bit more rake out of the mast by shortening the forestay another inch.

Investigate running the jib sheet onto the coachroof so it's easier to trim.

Reseal some more deck fittings.

Fit the toilet.

• Like 2

On 27/08/2023 at 20:34, johnnyfive said:

The old keltik would have leapt at a hairbrained and sketchy way achieve goal.

spacer.png

Yup that worked.  Precision work with a flogged out excavator.

Nicely done. Many thanks for your help Mr Bell.  Didn't actually get a photo of it all nicely painted. What a rookie mistake.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

In today's episode of "5 minute jobs that took multiple hours" we have some upgrades.

xmgidQz.jpeg

Repaired the deck underneath the keel hoist sheaves. 

99Hrnj0.jpeg

Moved the jib sheet to the cabin top self tailing winch.  This will make it much easier to trim the sail from a comfortable position.

JkAyibj.jpeg

And attached this little placard in the cabin. Hopefully I'll get another one to go with it next winter.

• Like 5

I need to do something about the depth sounder.  Occasionally it would miss a few pings and report the depth as deeper than it was. The only thing worse than a broken gauge is an unreliable one.

7neu4fQ.jpeg

Now I could have sent this one back to Midas, replaced the transducer and got them to service and recalibrate it... But a Raymarine ST60 came up on trademe and it has some nice new features along with massive numbers I can actually read.

spacer.png

This one will also network with my autopilot and display course errors, waypoints n stuff. Also has auto gain control and a much better backlight.

Had to upgrade the transducer. Rather than remove the original one, I decided to install the new one slightly further back in a flatter part of the hull that's less likely to get turbulent water over it.

spacer.png

Plus the original one had a lot of glue around it so was probably going to be a mission to remove.

Now I'll keep my eyes open for the matching Raymarine speed and wind gauges.

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

Was about to install a Bluetooth adaptor for the stereo but it seems there's already one fitted. Nice!

Tidied up a few things and added some safety items ahead of tomorrow's race.

Going around Karewa, Mayor and Motiti islands. It's going to be a miserable lumpy wet day.

If anyone's keen, 6:30am at bridge marina - bring teabags :-)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Main sail repaired, decided to do one of the Karewa island races with the Tauranga yacht club, didn't break anything and have had a few good sails since then.

One job that's been on the to-do list for a while was making the engine stop with the key. At the moment, someone has to open the engine compartment and hit the stop lever on the fuel rack.

Found the fuel shut off solenoid has a little manual override lever on it so you can keep the engine running even if the electrics fail.  Someone must have bumped the lever doing the last oil change. Put it back in the right place and that's another job ticked off the list.

Next was tackling the leak from the raw water pump.  It's been leaking so long the bottom of the engine compartment has a half inch thick crust of salt.  

spacer.png

Easy enough to get the pump off and apart. The previous owner knew it was a problem so gave us a new seal kit for it.

spacer.png

Cleaned up the shaft and it's got a decent wear groove from the water seal.

spacer.png

Put it all back together with a new impeller and miraculously it doesn't leak. I suspect we're going to need a new shaft in there if it gets drippy again.

spacer.png

Get a few more trips done then maybe look at doing an oil change.

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Sambo said:

Sorry if I'm telling you how to suck eggs, but definitely don't try and drain the oil out of the sump. Cleaning oil out of the bilge isn't fun. 

That's what the bilge pump is for? Pump the oil outside the environment.

There's nothing better than sucking out hot used oil with a cheap transfer pump that falls apart mid job.

• Haha 2