Pinion mounted disk handbrake opinions

HumberSS

1 hour ago, HumberSS said:

I looked at the cheap trojan ones but thought cert guy may not like these.. perhaps i need to explore further. Can you send me link to caliper you used? Also might explore drum option further..

Heaps of stuff here including electrically operated drums.

https://www.trailerpartsnz.com/index.php/brakes-brake-parts-c-311_666?gclid=Cj0KCQjw9ZGYBhCEARIsAEUXITWF1k9ibLGB_ZNIDX6ozjfymdRTrMI1XJOh-1yKjHyD132DM_rk484aAsXKEALw_wcB

I am pretty sure we got these but the whole hubs/brakes/lines/coupling/wheels kit was about $1500 so fuck knows why $650 for one.

https://www.trailerpartsnz.com/product_info.php/viper-replacement-hydraulic-calipers-p-4567?gclid=Cj0KCQjw9ZGYBhCEARIsAEUXITWF1k9ibLGB_ZNIDX6ozjfymdRTrMI1XJOh-1yKjHyD132DM_rk484aAsXKEALw_wcB

31 minutes ago, ThePog said:

Yeah. That looks sound af. Spendy but prob a good solution. Will now explore drum idea some more..

22 minutes ago, HumberSS said:

Yeah. That looks sound af. Spendy but prob a good solution. Will now explore drum idea some more..

Yep, I've seen the Trojan ones for under $125NZD but you might be getting less caliper, I dunno. Another place to look possibly are cart brakes. I've fucked around before doing brake conversions and by far the biggest challenge is matching rotors to calipers in terms of wheel stud PCD, diameter, back space ect. Considerations will be different in what you're mucking around doing though I'd say. 

9 hours ago, johnny.race said:

Yep, I've seen the Trojan ones for under $125NZD but you might be getting less caliper, I dunno. Another place to look possibly are cart brakes. I've fucked around before doing brake conversions and by far the biggest challenge is matching rotors to calipers in terms of wheel stud PCD, diameter, back space ect. Considerations will be different in what you're mucking around doing though I'd say. 

Thanks mate, yeah i have a machine shop so can kinda make anything in terms of mounting and disk geometry etc. I reckon the trailer ones are worth further investigation

I got sent these from a dude that imported a handbrake kit from Aus. I mentioned it above i think. It's at the different end than you're talking about carrying out the mod but still. You can figure out which way is up in the pics - I had to. There is a bit of work in it. He paid something like 1K he reckoned. Well worth it I thought but everyone's mileage differs.

1149540222_received_429172322298487(Large).thumb.jpeg.edf2693592f38679f5ae196b65e97048.jpeg

2146091227_received_933735387289908(Large).thumb.jpeg.92c5cbf099dfe8d76c10d54e8a5dd54e.jpeg

1080483438_received_5117269611649414(Large).thumb.jpeg.758fb1c1b3be46c5a27033acd582c34e.jpeg

19 hours ago, ThePog said:

When we built that caravan we got a kit from one of the trailer places in chch, the calipers were surprisingly nice cnc'd parts and not that expensive. Could be an option.

that would have been the kits transit engineering make. im pretty sure @NickJ used to or still does work there

46 minutes ago, BlownCorona said:

that would have been the kits transit engineering make. im pretty sure @NickJ used to or still does work there

Hope so, ill be building another soon and need basically the same kit, osgc discount, fell off the back of a truck mayyyyte etc.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, johnny.race said:

I got sent these from a dude that imported a handbrake kit from Aus. I mentioned it above i think. It's at the different end than you're talking about carrying out the mod but still. You can figure out which way is up in the pics - I had to. There is a bit of work in it. He paid something like 1K he reckoned. Well worth it I thought but everyone's mileage differs.

1149540222_received_429172322298487(Large).thumb.jpeg.edf2693592f38679f5ae196b65e97048.jpeg

2146091227_received_933735387289908(Large).thumb.jpeg.92c5cbf099dfe8d76c10d54e8a5dd54e.jpeg

1080483438_received_5117269611649414(Large).thumb.jpeg.758fb1c1b3be46c5a27033acd582c34e.jpeg

I have a video somewhere of one of those kits 

It didn't work very well, but also the cotton reel shaped spacers that attach the caliper are too long and they flex 

6 hours ago, BlownCorona said:

Nah not me there sorry, but I do have access to machines that build such fun things if you have an overly excessive budget.

1 hour ago, cletus said:

I have a video somewhere of one of those kits 

It didn't work very well, but also the cotton reel shaped spacers that attach the caliper are too long and they flex 

Oof! Haha! oh well. It looked to be a nice bit of kit. Flex? Maybe something cobbled up using double shear bracketry if I'm reading it right. But yeah, good to know bro. Cheers.