Right Petrol for my 65 Impala Stock 283 Small Block

Che65vy

91 should be fine, unless the timing has been advanced a bit. Keep an ear out for any pinging. In saying that, I use BP98 in my ‘70 Buick. Make sure you don’t use any fuel with ethanol in it, as is will eat at old rubber fuel lines. The wouldn’t worry about any additives. Unless you are doing 10s of thousands of miles a year, valve seat recession won’t be a problem.

Post some pics of the Impala.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Very nice. 

You'll just have to try it. It really comes down to how much money u want to pour down its throat. 

So its coming direct from USA, their fuel is pretty low in octane so you should be right with 91. However you do never really know whats its been run on.  Is it a stock runner? 

As alltorque mentioned keep an ear out for pinging sounds under load. If it is, u can either bump up to 95 or 98 fuel or take a couple degrees of timing out. Personally id adjust the timing for cheaper fuel if its a stocka..

Choice car... welcome to OS. Keen to see more.

• Like 1

Welcome to the club we have a few impalas some run fine on 91 others prefer the higher octane fuels. As others have said try 91 see how well it runs etc. Then decide to step it up if you need to. We dont run any additives. Nice looking car any plans for it or just enjoy it the way it is? 

1 hour ago, nzed said:

Very nice. 

You'll just have to try it. It really comes down to how much money u want to pour down its throat. 

So its coming direct from USA, their fuel is pretty low in octane so you should be right with 91. However you do never really know whats its been run on.  Is it a stock runner? 

As alltorque mentioned keep an ear out for pinging sounds under load. If it is, u can either bump up to 95 or 98 fuel or take a couple degrees of timing out. Personally id adjust the timing for cheaper fuel if its a stocka..

Choice car... welcome to OS. Keen to see more.

silly cunt piping up here.

have never got decent fuel economy with our 91 with a carb'ed engine, even with timing. always run highest pump octane i could get, usually 95-98 depending on love affair of said vehicle. 

All v8s or modern turbo stuff in nz should be running 95 to 98 octane.

it is likely it will run shit with 91 octane in it. or ping or detonate which can cause damage to the engine and end up having to get it rebuilt. 

also the american scale is not the same as nz's ron scale they use the mon scale

so their 93 is close to our 98 octane

also a fuel stabilizer additive isn't a bad idea if the vehicle does not get used or started very often as fuel can go off as little as 6 months.

have heard good results from the lucas stuff. not used myself though 

1897359779_download(1).jpglucas.jpg.a77f7ef2801ad83c3be62dbcd7bce062.jpg

• Like 1