Anglia4’s small bikes

anglia4

I’ve just opened it all back up, peened the nut edge, reassembled.

Fluids done.

Also new clutch cable, chain and sprockets, mounted the extra fuel tank, made a mount for a kick stand.

She’s pretty good to go bar the new cdi.

A48BBEE0-CF96-4CE3-B8F1-6C76CC3B8863.jpeg.736e02cc2c7f5d0c46f90e8fbd4cb2a7.jpeg

DA6EDD22-6AC8-4F67-8A3E-A9B2192AE938.jpeg

• Like 6

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Because nothing is easy...

The CDI arrived on Monday, and upon attempting to fit, I discovered it had all the wrong plugs and not enough wires...

I managed to dig out a wiring diagram for an NSR 50, which aligned with most of what is on my bike, but didn't show the extra wire I had, and didn't include any of the gear indicator/speed limiter wiring.

image.png.3846c01f2e61ce08e24bbc4e0db2175e.png

I'll put some info down here, incase someone else is scouring the internet for instructions like I was.

I haven't got a photo, but my CDI had a roundy 4-pin plug, a roundy 2-pin plug and a squarey 6-pin plug. The 6-pin goes to the gear selector.

The new CDI is a CF POSH 225064 and looks like this:

Racing C.D.I. Super Battle

None of the plugs fit together, so you need to cut them off and attach your own. Here are the instructions that came with the unit, translated to english:

image.jpeg.d59a2e9570cb2bb7b30b65d0ef192c75.jpeg

image.jpeg.0c4b7dc7203bb71a7ddd1ebb1ebc9d20.jpeg

Wiring:

CDI Side - Bike Side

• Orange - Coil + 
  • Blue - Blue/Yellow (Blue with yellow stripe) (This wire comes from the crank trigger)
  • Black - Green (Ground)
  • Red - Black/Red (Power feed)
  • White - Black/White (Ignition switch)

The spare wire on the bike side is Green/White, and needs to be connected to ground.

To figure out the green/white took a while, lots of thinking, internetting, and a phonecall to @johnnyfive who is a GC and dismantled his bike to trace wires for me. There was a brief period where I didn't think I'd have it running again for east cape this week. But it seems I've got it sorted.

As it happens, it would have been a plug and play solution for J5's bike... There must be some variation between models.

Anyway, now its all ready to go.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Well that's the Eastcape ride done for another year.

The CRM outperformed all my expectations. 

It couldn't keep up on the road sections.

It survived all the water flooding and crossings. (despite filling the airbox with water)

It was bloody brilliant on the gravel.

It was really good at doing Hot Rod style donuts and silly static wheelstands.

image.thumb.jpeg.666ba0fa1ce0f11684aecd1c08dc98cc.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.93edf1cc52230983cbc68cd7ab6a7c00.jpeg

It was nearly a faultless ride.

On day 2, I was finding it would run a bit shit after seeing lots of water, and if I went over a big bump it would cough. At one point I was being silly and rode it up a wee bank, when I rode back down it died and was a real prick to start. I had a bit of a think about what it might be, and at the next stop I cracked open the airbox cover and it dumped about 100ml of water on the ground. All good after that!

The only other issue was on day 3, about 2 km from J5's place, and slightly closer to finishing than where the GT"50" jammed up the year before. It was in full 2 stroke kazoo mode buzzing along as fast as it could go, and then a sudden bang/crunch followed by absolute silence as I clutched in and coasted off the road...

Fearing the worst, I hopped off the bike to find the chain off the sprocket and all stuffed up into the stator cover along with the lower chain guide. The chain guide had broken, done a lap of the rear sprocket and then burried everything into the front. I pulled the cover off roadside, untangled the mess of chain, back together and finished the ride.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Free selling on trade me got my a into g with the GT50.

I’ve added some more rubber isolation under the petrol tank and tightened up all the engine mounts which has cured its vibrations. 
It’s such a sweet bike now compared to when I brought it, but I’m ready to move on to the next big project.

Tell your friends!

FC3914AD-D6BB-4ED8-BDBE-C6D5128365F9.thumb.png.cec1e7fd43ce404a81d91520b3853536.png

• Like 1

I took the silver bullet for a bit of a farewell ride last night, I wanted to make sure all was well before I pass it on to anyone who might happen to buy it.

80km of the windiest roads we could string together. Bloody good fun.

0DEDAE52-F7D2-4785-ADFF-C716F581DB28.jpeg.01a62cf96cb8701458ce362d71376308.jpeg

• Like 9

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

So with the V50, it turned up at home and I had a go at starting it. There were no signs of life at all.

It needs some piecing together, its missing a couple of cables, and a foot peg, and the brake lever.

So it just sat in the shed for a few weeks as a climbing gym for my 2yo daughter. Then one day I was looking at all the things missing, and noticed the choke cable, so I pulled it the choke on, and a handful of kicks and it fired into life. Sweet!

I've been wanting to get into my ST90 though, so moved the V50 into storage and made a start on the little Honda. Replacing a few cables that are munted, fixing the headlight, fork seals etc. I'm waiting on a new seal for the speedo drive so that I can fit new brake shoes at the moment. 

This year for the King Country Crusade I'll be riding the CRM again, so I decided last night to do some maintenance. I ordered a fork seal kit ages ago, which turns out only does one leg, so I fixed the leaking one last night. While it was apart I found all the wheel bearings pretty much fuckd, one of the fronts has been so hot its blistered the seal.

So now a week out from the ride my "its ready to go" bike is scattered all over the shed floor. But I have done some maintenance, fork seals, oil change, now the bearings etc. so it should be all sweet tonight!

image.thumb.jpeg.c893608bc3cfea469c367ed7368a3eb3.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f3b1f2f9d999463cf5d85287773015fe.jpeg

Oh and I've brought another ST90 frame and pile of parts... 

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was walking past this in the shed the other day and noticed the muffler looking a little droopy...

image.thumb.jpeg.436a82cb7fd386fbb029d53fc29dd646.jpeg

The bolt must have fallen out during the King Country Crusade ride, and then things have got a bit melty...

image.thumb.jpeg.5127b00e166bbe55ca6266e611957ed8.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.288128658a8261d3e6cbc425b0409edc.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.0c97cebc4d41f3d48b7981adc64853cc.jpeg

Its left a pretty huge hole in the airbox. Luckily, and with massive thanks to @johnnyfive, I have a spare airbox lying around!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Must be a common issue as the spare box is a bit melted too. @johnnyfive I recommend putting a nyloc on that bolt!

I had always planned to try out this airbox, as the top of mine is all chopped out and I've had troubles with it ingesting water on the big rides in the rain.

image.thumb.jpeg.f95c59701ed5ce7f9994fec8621fc58e.jpeg

I was a bit worried that the factory inlet snorkle thing would restrict power a bit. Its definitely taken the angry 2-stroke *tang* out of the note, and made things much quieter *sadface* but its heaps smoother to ride, and actually revs out nicer. I've gained an easy close to 10km/h on the highway section to work. Cruises without too much drama at 80km/h now.

image.thumb.jpeg.5ce9a186059ebda1974f21d0d4b38590.jpeg

It was a whole subframe off job to get the airbox out, which isn't quite the ball-ache that it looks. It was actually piss easy, which is refreshing for that kind of job.

I spent a bit of time on some tidy up stuff that I've wanted to get on with for a while too.

I fitted some rear indicators, took off the auxiliary tank, re-attached the left hand guard and finally put the radiator shroud on. Complete with compulsory 90's trail bike zip tie to mount to a bent radiator.

image.jpeg

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

This weekend in pictures:

image.thumb.jpeg.af3ba656ce641c4a8dc7daa21fb58f51.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.74b5de2b06999160f4a8900b80bd8f07.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.8d2a9e66d3d64615e408c4c5dbea0b15.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ec187441d9f9b940274dae93f5cd346d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.8f2cb09977148c3294df064d74774762.jpeg

Been stranded at home with the whole family sick, so went to the barn to get something to work on.

Unable to decide between finishing my ST90 or starting on the V50, I decided whichever was going to be easier to collect was the weekends project.

Its now all stripped down ready to start blast & paint, and I'm about to order the missing bits from Japan.

Stoked to finally be working on a Yamaha!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've been chipping away at getting this sorted. I had wanted to have it ready for this coming weekend, but that's not going to happen, so the new target is the Taupo Supercars in 3 weeks.

It needed a couple of repairs:

image.thumb.jpeg.bac1f1533a692e98d3dbde05437c7b4e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f9107d1251c9c4ff30e8ddf071c633dc.jpeg

I'm not aiming for perfect, the frame is too rough of a starting point for that.

Also had a crack in the petrol tank.

image.thumb.jpeg.00365119b63a7f4ee29cdc9a2ada4fdc.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.58ddd3585d29d06829b469d29c9513af.jpeg

And now it doesn't.

I'll try and get some high build primer on it this week and see how it all looks after that and a sand.

The foot peg assembly I got off trademe has been broken, repaired, bent and twisted... So I'm on the look out for another of those :doubt:

A box of parts arrived from Japan the other day, with new cables, headlight and a brake lever. New "less-broken" front guard is on order from trademe.

Making progress.

• Like 3