Jump to content

Adoom's 1956 Meuser Lathe(Big German)


Adoom
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 28/06/2020 at 16:47, cletus said:

Shame you need forward and reverse, otherwise a 5hp Briggs would be lol to power a lathe with  

Belt drive it and mount on a turn table so you could just flip the motor 180 degrees throw belt back on. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

EXTENDO BRACKET!

20200801_174016.thumb.jpg.2980ad386e543d103fe77d37aea54b0d.jpg20200801_174033.thumb.jpg.446ac00a27b5be08e665c320d58f7282.jpg20200801_174355.thumb.jpg.b5e9730e05d1c1182df89dd1304b25c5.jpg

The big motor does not fit with the rear stud in the original location. Fortunately there is another tapped hole for the stud further back. I assume there was a factory option with a longer motor that uses a different plate...

This option seemed way easier/cheaper than making a completely new mounting plate.

I still need to make an adapter plate because the bolt holes on the motor are just wider than the slots in the plate. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Well, shit! It just turned up today!!! 50 days since "leaving" china airport. The last tracking update was June 23rd.

Looks okay. I took the covers off and the circuit boards look well made.

"senries" mmm hmm yep, defo china spec.

 20200812_160347.thumb.jpg.e340e8ea59a2933b0680be98e455c051.jpg

I guess I will find out if I wasted my money when I try power up my 5.5kw motor. Hopefully I get around to that this weekend.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So with Covid Level 2, work decided we would all work from home again since we were used to doing it from L4.

So I multitasked and wired up the VFD.

The 5.5Kw motor is just on the bench, so there is no mechanical load.

It does appear to work as advertised.

It ramps the frequency up from 0 to 50 Hz. It takes 20 seconds to go from stopped to what seems to be full speed. Maybe this is configurable? But possibly it cannot handle a faster ramp up/down?

It appears to do the same when you press stop and ramps down. For braking?

When you change direction, it ramps down, then up again the other way.

At 50Hz, I measure 350v between the phases. 

I can adjust the speed from ~60rpm to full speed(2800, but I cannot test this).

 

 

I suspect I have not wasted my money.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So I had a go at programming the VFD. Entering the motor specs  and changing the acceleration and decceleration times.

I changed the accel from 20 to 2 seconds. It had no problem with that. But it may be different with a load.

I tried the deccel at 2 sec as well. Part way through it cut the power and showed a fault code. So I changed it to 4 sec which it was happy with. I'll have to look into how to use a braking resistor.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It fought me, but I managed to get it in there. It juuuuust fits.

20200819_185646.thumb.jpg.0630f1d09cf0d3a4b449f1c6d29ef4f6.jpg

20200819_185704.thumb.jpg.badf21b41d369a6215e8a46bb80d4138.jpg

20200819_185721.thumb.jpg.35e16ccbf9d24b0d26479f22ca9b35f2.jpg

I had to chop the big studs down to move get the pulley in the right place.

I found that the terminal box on the top of the motor could be reversed which gave me about 20mm extra clearance at the top.

To get it through the door I have to wrestle it in on its side then lift it back up. It weighs about 40kg.

I could not get the motor high enough to use the original belts so I have ordered some longer ones. Hopefully they should arrive tomorrow and it will be alive again.

I still need to wire the big forward reverse switch lever to the VFD and get a potentiometer for speed control and stop switch.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dang it!

The new belts are way too long. I cannot lower the motor far enough to take out the slack.

Lesson learned, now I know belt lengths are listed by inside diameter. The way I measured the length I needed got me the outside diameter which is 40-50mm different.

 Ordered more new belts, hopefully they send them today and I should get them tomorrow.

WAAH! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Correct size belts arrived at lunch today! It's ALIIIIIIIIVE!

It's got no problem with a 1 second acceleration time in all the gears. Okay I'm a little scared to crank straight to full speed in top gear. The speeds on the gearbox are for a 1400rpm motor and my motor is 2800. So the 760rpm top gear is actually 1510rpm.

I had to increase the decelleration time to 6 seconds to stop it getting an over voltage error. If it goes over voltage it cuts the power and lets the motor freewheel to a stop.

I'll try do some wiring of the remote switches on the weekend. But I really should be installing the garage insulation cause it's in the way of everything.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Aaaaaaand I wired up the switches for the big forward/reverse lever on the carriage. So now I can make it go forward/stop/reverse with that lever.

I'll go to jaycar on Saturday and get a 10K potentiometer for the speed control and maybe a box to put it in.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...