Adoom's 1956 Meuser Lathe(Big German)

Adoom

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Muncie said:

where did you find that ? had an exact same one at my old work which has since shut doors wonder if its the same machine.

It was in carterton. Old guy had it for years. I think he said it was ex railways.. or some other gubmint place that has since shut down.

There was another one on trademe recently. It looked exactly the same model. Same year even. It was in Hamilton. This one. https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=2362340323&archive=1 

Is that the one you are talking about?

58 minutes ago, Muncie said:

Nah the one i used was same colour as yours had been retrofitted for modern cutting tools etc. probably went up for sale about 6 years ago.

I learnt on my granddads myford from around 5 years old. Lathe is on my bucket list.

What size tooling did you use? It didn't come with any. Looks like maybe 25mm, or 20mm with a bunch of shims...

So the threaded collar that pulls the chuck mounting flange onto the spindle taper was stuck. The guy I bought it off said the previous owner also could not get it off and broke the big c-spanner trying to undo it. So this thing has been stuck for YEARS.

I reckon some gorilla had been trying to "undo" it with a big fucking hammer..... the wrong way, so they were tightening it. 

Enter....ME. Right! big fuck off levers must solve this!

So I tigged a 12mm bolt onto the c-spanner to fix it.

Then made this no-turning-for-you thing.

And put a long big of bar on the spanner handle.

20191102_153341.thumb.jpg.372e288cfc7c7c8525a8085e428e9e30.jpg

And discovered that my 82kg is insufficient weight to hang off the lever.

So I swapped to the other side so I was lifting the lever up..... and proceeded to start tilting the lathe over.... Hmmmm

Then I tried putting the trolley jack under the lever so the lathe was just starting to tilt, and whacking the collar with a hammer....Nope.

So then I tried wedging a big bit of timber between the bed and the drip tray to give me a place to put a scissor jack. And jacked up on the end of the spanner.

There was creaking from the jack and cracking from the wood. I got a whole lot of pressure happening and I was just waiting for it to explode in my face. I gave the collar a smack with the hammer and BANG! it fucking turned. HAH!

It still didn't want to push the mounting flange off the spindle taper. So I started hammering on the back of the bit of angle. SUCCESS! The taper came loose and I could push it off by winding the collar by hand.

It was a bit grubby in there.

Here it is after I gave it a scrubbing with WD40 and a scourer pad.

20191102_174822.thumb.jpg.e6d3d377567587cc9a886e9e625ea492.jpg

So the 2.2hp motor I want to try put on it has a 24mm shaft. The dual belt pulley that needs to go on it is for a 28mm shaft. I will try make a sleeve to make it fit. I'll also have to find a taller key.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, flyingbrick said:

Could just buy a pulley with only pilot hole drilled? Might be good to choose one with smaller pulley ?

It's a taper lock pulley. But I found that I can just order the bush by itself with the correct bore for my motor. So just I've ordered that. ~$40

• Like 3

So I'm trying to find some electrical switch gear. It needs to be able to handle >14Amps. I'm pretty sure it's not a good idea to use the switch on the wall outlet to turn the motor on/off.

I haven't got around to actually checking, but I assume this isn't going to have a reverse gear. Reverse would be nice, so I'd like a reverse/off/forward rotary switch. 

I believe I know how to wire the motor to make it go in reverse.

Finding an appropriate rotary switch is not as straightforward as I was expecting.

I want to do forward/reverse and an emergency stop button(which could be part of an on/off switch).

Does anyone have any suggestions of what to get and where to get it?

• Like 1

3ph = easy change any two of the three phases and it’ll change direction, so can be a switch anywhere along the power lead

1ph= only one phase so you need to change around 1/2? Of the windings in the motor 

some will have all the windings wires run up in to a distribution block so can be tapped into with a rotary switch 

some will have them joined together down in the windings so can’t be altered and it’s fixed direction 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, datlow said:

3ph = easy change any two of the three phases and it’ll change direction, so can be a switch anywhere along the power lead

1ph= only one phase so you need to change around 1/2? Of the windings in the motor 

some will have all the windings wires run up in to a distribution block so can be tapped into with a rotary switch 

some will have them joined together down in the windings so can’t be altered and it’s fixed direction 

It's off a compressor. So it's got a box on the top with the start and run capacitors, then a distribution block thing with 6 wires that go into the motor, so I suspect I will be able to reverse it.

• Like 1