EpochNZ's 1973 Saab 99 - Discussion

EpochNZ

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Having the repair panels needed makes the whole job less scary. When I saw the pictures of the rust I just saw thousands of dollars worth of panel beater to custom make patches for those areas.

Even if the frieght gets spendy, it’s still going to be cheaper and better now in the long run.

And it means there is still a Saab build thread for me to enjoy on Oldschool.

Think I’ll go have a beer to celebrate.

• Like 4

Wow you can buy lots of steel panel stuff for that - im sure there will be parts still in Sweden/Scandinavia and the likes. I got a front guard and boot lid for one of my Cedrics from Norway of all places. Keep up with the build, I may have to join you on a welding course. One word when stripping down - lots of ziplock bags.

I didnt think i liked Saabs but this thing is awseome. :) :) 

• Like 4

Yeah that rusty ain't really that bad. I've seen far worse and on cats not half as worth saving.  Now that I see the panels you can get it makes the repairs soooooo much easier. Especially that complex shaped inner guard bit. 

Yay for the rescue of such a cool car! 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Rather than a welding class, get someone to show you how to do the basics. Welding in panels isn't too hard. Not sure what area you are in, but i'm sure someone will be willing to show you the ropes. Happy to lend a hand in that regard, i'm not panel work master though. Being able to buy panels is quite the luxury!

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Commando comic references might well be lost on much of the younger generation found about here on this forum... unless they are still a thing? I remember them as a kid, buying them second hand at a Motueka thrift shop and reading them on holidays in Kaiteriteri :-) 

Anyway-  it made me chuckle. I'm glad you're cracking on with this!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Tell me shes done?

I had a 1978 99GL witha number of mods. Lowered on gas shocks, lowered, air dam up front, lumpier cam, and metric wheels and tires (220 front, 240 rear) from a Ford Mustang GT. Free flow exhaust.

35 years later, I still miss her  :-(

• Like 2
  • Haha 1