I made a towdolly...why? I have no idea.

BigT105e

So I lied, I do know why.  I had done a welding job on a mates sisters Corolla wagon and as payment received an old Lazer sedan. I thought I would use said Lazer as a track hack until me old Anglia was up and running. The problem was at the time I only had a single garage with a skinny drive I could park mine and the wife's cars one behind the other. This meant nil room for a transportation device of standard car trailer dimensions, so I thought, why not a dolly I could stand up against a wall. Research was undertaken and the frame was welded up....then I changed jobs and moved to a much betterer home. Lazer was sold and the Anglia project was concentrated on, and the new job didn't leave much time for anything else but pottered away on it, but as I finish up with this job in 2 days the rush has been on to finish it.  As I wasn't going to put the Anglia on this dolly, but on a proper trailer, I decided to carry on with the dolly and get Wof and Reg and flick off for Anglia funds. I wanted to make it as low as possible with low guards, so went with JetSki trailer wheels and tyres, 8x8.5, nice and fat. The guards available for JetSki trailers were fugly, so racked the old pea in the noggin and stuck one of the wheels on top of a 200L oil drum at work, and Lo it had virtually the right radius. I liked the idea of the guard going past the 90 degree level front and rear, to get that custom look. I think they turned out quite cool. The fiddliest bit of the build would have been running the cables in the frame and connecting up 11 lights without having a rats nest, but I managed to get it all clean and tidy and hidden away. In the next day or two I will replace the 3 missing wheel nuts I managed to push into the matrix, stick 2 reflectors on, get rego'd and Wof'd and put up for sale. Can't wait to start my car trailer.

pics in a mo, once I remember how to use host sight again....damn peabrain

• Like 2

I also have one that has no real reason for me having it 

Its got 16 inch wheels  I towed a 3t ford truck with it no probe once I figured that I only tie down around the wheels so it wouldn't push my truck through the corners 

Thinking of hacking off the hub and stubs and using the floating hubs of the light trucks with the small dual wheels ( heavier load capacity with more stability and flats tire don't put you instantly on the side of the road

We've stopped using the dollys over here.

The cops have declared that the vehicle being towed (on the dolly) is still technically on the road as 2 wheels are on it.

Therefore the towed vehicle must be registered and road legal.

So if you use it for a race car etc they pull you over and defect the race car and fine you for unregistered vehicle.

Bastards.

They were  very handy trailer for people with no room etc.

Thats when i bought my banana back.

• Like 1

Really stupid question, but how does one go around a corner when a car is on one of these if there is no pivoting on the dolly?

Does it just rely on you having the steering on the car unlocked, and having the front wheels not clamped rigidly to the dolly?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ajg193 said:

Really stupid question, but how does one go around a corner when a car is on one of these if there is no pivoting on the dolly?

Does it just rely on you having the steering on the car unlocked, and having the front wheels not clamped rigidly to the dolly?

Tows like a .... dolly trailer, funnily enuf, you keep cars steering unlocked and clamp front wheels down tight to trailer, pivoting would be betterer but couldn't be fucked, just don't turn too tight or tow a truck with it

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 8ball said:

We've stopped using the dollys over here.

The cops have declared that the vehicle being towed (on the dolly) is still technically on the road as 2 wheels are on it.

Therefore the towed vehicle must be registered and road legal.

So if you use it for a race car etc they pull you over and defect the race car and fine you for unregistered vehicle.

Bastards.

They were  very handy trailer for people with no room etc.

Thats when i bought my banana back.

Bastards....that'll probably happen here soon

17 hours ago, nickrock said:

I also have one that has no real reason for me having it 

Its got 16 inch wheels  I towed a 3t ford truck with it no probe once I figured that I only tie down around the wheels so it wouldn't push my truck through the corners 

Thinking of hacking off the hub and stubs and using the floating hubs of the light trucks with the small dual wheels ( heavier load capacity with more stability and flats tire don't put you instantly on the side of the road

Yep had thought about duals too, but was gonna leave me with too little room between the guards, might chuck them on the old garden trailer tho, make the most of those tip trips...... rip off bastards, that's another yarn for another day tho, smokos over lol

3 hours ago, BigT105e said:

Yep had thought about duals too, but was gonna leave me with too little room between the guards, might chuck them on the old garden trailer tho, make the most of those tip trips...... rip off bastards, that's another yarn for another day tho, smokos over lol

You don't need to tell me about the cost of going to the tip I go there every day

With the duals you probably have about 2 m between the wheels good for most cars , if any one is wrecking a light truck or van with small duals I might be interested ,got some of a Nissan atlas van but the rims are totally rusted 

1 hour ago, jakesae101 said:

how much are you looking for?

Will keep you posted, I will get Wof'd and Rego'd first, maybe put some chequer plate on open section's of deck, and then will list on here first. I did some research when I started the build, and there was a few on the tard for sale, they all looked fugly as shite, even the one that had no Wof or Reg and rusted to buggery went for $2k, the other two went for $4 k and $4.5k, the latter had the pivoting deck on it, would be looking somewhere in that $2-4K bracket once done. Hopefully list in the next couple of weeks.

2 minutes ago, Dolan said:

This looks amazing!

Cheers bro, last day at work tomorrow, have the old disco at work ready to tow the dolly home, will have to take a pic of it on there, will look the ducks nuts behind that. Looking forward to dailying the 8 again, won't look forward to the gas bill tho, but fuckit, the noise is WORTH IT

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Shit pic, but proves it works...

As you can see in the pic I couldn't quite figure out how I was going to tie down the vehicles. To get the van home I just let the tyres down some and put the tiedown under the frame and over the tyre and cranked it down. Since that trip I garnered some useful insight on how to possibly tie vehicles down.  I welded angle front and rear and proceeded to drill 40 14mm holes, 10 aside front and rear. These were to accommodate eye bolts that the tiedown can hook up to. To hold the tyre in place I made a chain tyre bucket to sit on top of the tyre.....i will post a pic to explain. I also had made some rails that sat in the holes and ran beside the wheels to help to stop the vehicle sliding sideways on trailer...I fucked it up and they didn't work, but just pulling wheels down with chain buckets means vehicle can't really move anyway. The weekend just been I took my van to work to do work on it and it worked well, bloody handy so don't want to sell now but probably will coz need cash for van.Screenshot_20180328-152725.thumb.png.e84a54976e9793471d0885906af25f21.png

Screenshot_20180328-123219.png