Spring Rates - Suggestions?

spiderwebfx

S12 has S14 front coilovers with 8kg springs. damper on lowest setting.  

Rear has adjustable collar spring seats with I think 6 or 8kg springs and some random Colorado shocks (not damper adjustable).

The front end seems to stiff with the small amount of driving it's done so I'm looking at alternative options.

Wondering if I should drop down to 6kg/4kg springs?  (or even 7kg/5kg if available) It'll mainly be used on road with the odd track day.

Kurb weight is 1170kg standard. But SR20DET is roughly 25 kg's heavier than factory motor and has had nothing in terms of taking weight away from the car done.  (This might help to reference peoples opinions on there setups)

8 kg is getting up a bit but not super stiff.

i would try a 5 or 6kg and see how that feels. if its still to stiff maybe look at some different shocks because it really comes down to how they preform that determines how the front end will feel.

just for an experiment you could wind the shock rates up and see how it feels? im guessing they are rebound adjusting only? you'll find that you only really "feel" the shock difference right at the end of the adjustment, most of them have very little change until you get almost to full hard. try fucking around with the shock at a half turn from full hard and see what happens. 

On 2/13/2017 at 10:48, Roman said:

In my car I'm running 5kg and 3.5kg and find this is on the verge of what's good for driving on the street (Tyres start skipping off the road over undulations...) 

Possibly relates to my shocks as well though.

6&4 would be good I reckon.

This is 100% shock issue. Good road feeling relies on 3 things; not shit tyres, shock control and weight transfer. 

For OP I think your suggestion of 6/4 would work well but agree with sheepers comments that it may not solve the issue. 

I've run really stiff Springs on the road in the past on a sub 1000kg car with relatively average shockage. A semi slick will make it feel 1-2kg softer than it actually is due to increased grip with more roll/weight transfer. 

I'm an advocate of buying the best shocks you can afford and everything else takes care of itself. Chuck a bilstein at it and suddenly turns into an awesome car to drive...

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Quick update on this.
Ended up getting some Tein 5kg rear springs.  They made a HUGE difference.  Looks like I had 8kg springs all round, which was most of the problem.  I'm still waiting for some shocks to arrive to match my front ones.  Once they show up I'll be getting some Tein 7kg springs to put in the front as well. That way the shocks match and the springs match.

• Like 1