Drag Racing at Ruapuna 29 Jan

Carsnz123

I was hoping to race at this meet.

but a family activity has been programmed for the same time. 

Subsequently the cars owner is going to race their own car instead. Sad face.

Big meets yield a sticky track.  So it should be prime conditions for running fast times. When I get clear of my other duties I intent to rock out for a look. Be interesting to see if Dad can run a faster time in his car than I put down last time. Has a looser hi stall now too.

Not knowing what a good/bad track is after only doing one day of drags about this time last year I can't comment on times. But the rundown is: the track is the main straight of ruapuna in reverse. You launch on a dedicated section with track bite for the first 150ish feet. The rest is preped with rubber before the event. I have a video of a funny car doing a 6sec quarter last year. 

It has good days and bad days. Back when they used to run winter street meets, the traction was often pretty limited. But 3/4 of drag racing in a street car on street tyres is getting as close to your traction limit as possible. Took me a long time to find my sweet spot. So much so that when running decent drag tyres I couldn't unlearn that and pull 6000k rpm  clutch drops.

Dad popped a head gasket today. So his running  on sun depends how he gets on fixing it.

• Like 1

If you do come out Bart I'll give you the address of Raizer's mower is. Hows the repairs going on your dads car? I made a couple of tweaks to the timing on my golf and now I can light a tyre up on launch. I'm really interested to see how fast I go.

I finished up going camping with the family. 

But dad got his gaskets changed and back together in time.

I saw him on his way home after we'd dropped his caravan back out to his place. He made three passes. 

Best et of 12.9@100 mph. 

Not bad for no Rev counter and a 2.92:1 rear axle. Still more in it. Reckoned he did what I did and was shifting first into top instead of second. And then top into N , and after a big Rev back into top. Gotta be a tenth or two there. Must need the shifter linkages looking at. (Car is 47 years old)  And he's picked up 750 double pumper to go on too. 

How did you get on?

• Like 1

I did 18.39 in qualifying so dialed in an 18.2 and proceeded to beak out and did an 18.11. I lined up for a few grudge matches and managed to do a 17.93@74  while power shifting. I need to find some smaller wheels for it as I never made it out of 3rd.  What car was your dad in?

16195865_1254226344653523_64819080004922  

• Like 1