Southerner visiting the North

craig_b

Hey dudes and dudettes.
In February ill be coming up from dunedin for the lawnmower (rotary) convention at taupo motorsport park. Have got 3 days to get to taupo then after the event got 6 days to get too chch. From taupo i want to head west to catch up with family in hawera for a night.  If anyones got some suggestions of sweet roads and scenic shit to check out anything legit let me know, im pretty flexible with times etc and what happens just know i want to be in taupo on the 11th & 12th then ChCh on the 18th.

And...

From the 20th/21st of Feb i will be doing another mission back to the North heading to Auckland for the weekend of the 24th, but want to head up the east coast this time so same applies. If theres any decent scenic roads or anything worth checking out let me know.   

Let the fuel be burnt.

You guys spend alot of time in the lawnmower and yard trimming thread? Haha

2 hours ago, locost_bryan said:

Take the Forgotten World Highway (SH47 iirc), then visit the Fun Ho! Toy museum in Inglewood. 

Check out the British Car Museum near Napier.

Cheers man will look this stuff up

2 hours ago, michaelme said:

About an hour North of Wellington is the Southward Car Museum, pretty decent

http://www.southwardcarmuseum.co.nz/gallery.html

Well worth a visit. There is an entry fee, but you would be hard pressed to find a bigger collection anywhere else (and it goes towards operating costs and acquiring more cool cars). Ive been a couple of times now.

• Like 1

On 7 January 2017 at 6:32 AM, michaelme said:

About an hour North of Wellington is the Southward Car Museum, pretty decent

http://www.southwardcarmuseum.co.nz/gallery.html

If you go on the 21 feb the car park will be full of motorbikes too (think you still have to pay to look at the cars/inside building) they may open up the workshops out the back too?

http://www.eventfinda.co.nz/2016/shiny-side-up-bike-fest/paraparaumu

i just did the same trip you are thinking of last week, or kinda, new plymouth to piopio via state highway 3, then followed SH 4, detour to visit ohura (a must for anyone interested in derelict old shit), then back on to the forgotten world highway to taumarunui then on to taupo. do that in reverse! 

all were very fun driving roads, bit of a waste in a soccer mom SUV thing. in a car that handles well and can do go fast things itd be a great days worth of driving

• Like 1