Willdat's this wasn't supposed to be a project Honda Beagle

Willdat?

Probably a simple reason that you've got but ... could you not have unbolted the front subframe (associated d-shafts, (given yours is 4WD) plumbing to chassis, etc) and lifted the car off then done everything with heaps of room atop the subframe?

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably a simple reason that you've got but ... could you not have unbolted the front subframe (associated d-shafts, (given yours is 4WD) plumbing to chassis, etc) and lifted the car off then done everything with heaps of room atop the subframe?

Good question, the main reason I did it this way was that the Honda workshop manual does it this way! It could be done far faster a second time, not quite sure about half a day to get it all out and back in again though! I think we're at about 6 hours all up to get it most of the way out. This has been far fiddlier than other engine swaps I've done, but this has been mostly to do with access - quite a lot of stuff in not a lot of space.

• Like 1

Nah subframe on efs is in two parts, engine bolts to both parts and also the chassis, out the top is easiest.

If you think you have no room try a Shuttle with B18c in it, that is a tight fit

Makes sense to me - You might have missed my question on the previous page - but will I be able to reuse the SOHC ZC engine loom (including the distributor wiring issue you mentioned?) The DOHC ZC loom is being used for a B18CR conversion.

Sounds like the guy I'm buying the engine from (Chris Amaira from Strongs) has found a new crank pulley for me and is taking the gearbox off tonight so he can send it down to me soon.

Yep so long as the engine is OBD0 everything from your existing loom will plug straight in except for the mentioned dizzy. The onky thing that may differ is the fan switch for the radiator, your old engine should have had it on the back of the block near the oil filter sort of, Im pretty sure the dohc zc had it in the same place but if not you just need to lengthen the wires to the thermostat housing.

I stuffed up my original loom when I put the B18c in (obd1) and ended up using a DOHC zc loom with a few extra wires attached so can confirm that it will all plug into the chassis no worries.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't take my camera with me today - but engine is out. DOHC ZC is supposed to be sent down from Auckland in the next few days.

Supposed to be arriving tomorrow - fingers crossed - photo of me looking like a dick for threadhzfc32iz.rlo.jpg

• Like 2

Engine arrived today, clutch aligned by eye as per Yowzer's advice. Crank pulley removed from DOHC ZC as it is cracked, unfortunately not compatible with SOHC ZC. Gearbox is back on, loom plugged back in. Power steering pump bracket has some pretty interesting alignment issues - will try googling for some solutions. Everything else is looking sweet - should be back on mounts tomorrow if I can sort the power steering.

For power steering fluid if you ever need to replace it, for whatever ever reason Honda uses different fluid. Can get it from repco etc, many brands make it, its reffered to as HPSO (honda power steering oil i assume) that was a job I had to do twice on mine.

I changed pump and hard line though as Bseries pump is different

• Like 1

For power steering fluid if you ever need to replace it, for whatever ever reason Honda uses different fluid. Can get it from repco etc, many brands make it, its reffered to as HPSO (honda power steering oil i assume) that was a job I had to do twice on mine.

I changed pump and hard line though as Bseries pump is different

Awesome, good to know - yeah most of the power steering fluid has been spread over the floor in the workshop. Found out from the seller that he's sending me down a DOHC power steer pump so that issue is now sorted.

Also have some 4 to 1 headers coming down but I don't think I'll fit them as the cross member needs to be notched. I assume that'd be a cert issue?

You will probably find the headers wont get around the transfer case anyway? This is the case with crv anywyay, normal bseries headers need to be modded.

But yea should be certed, in most cases just the lip of the subframe needs to be trimmed so you may get away with it, i had b18c with 4-2-1 headers and they cleared the subframe so you never know what may fit

I assume that'd be a cert issue?

Speaking of which - will be interesting to see if the SOHC/DOHC swap draws enough attention to need cert (I know technically it will), the power increase is minor 88->~95kW and they both have just ZC stamped on the block.

You will probably find the headers wont get around the transfer case anyway? This is the case with crv anywyay, normal bseries headers need to be modded.

That's what I was imagining too, that transfer case made getting the gearbox on far more interesting - I'd love to see how a pro would have done it...

Nah DOHC swap shouldnt need cert, same engine series, same cc, same aspiration, same mounts, not much more power.

Chassis plate should say it has a zc, engine is a zc. Win :)

Last wof I took the Beagle through, the inspector told me about an ultra rare one he knew of with a factory DOHC. Hopefully he won't remember this one...

http://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/suplementary_information/LVVTA_LVV_Cert_Threshold.pdf

uses the same family of block and cylinder head from the same vehicle manufacturer

Its a zc cylinder head so from the same family as original, meets criteria does it not?

I think hes pulling ya leg or someone is pulling his, they never came DOHC from factory. Rarest would be the shape before this 84-87 Shuttle GT with fuel injected single cam EW5 engine. There used to be one around town here but havnt seen it for a while

• Like 1

Its a zc cylinder head so from the same family as original, meets criteria does it not?

I think hes pulling ya leg or someone is pulling his, they never came DOHC from factory. Rarest would be the shape before this 84-87 Shuttle GT with fuel injected single cam EW5 engine. There used to be one around town here but havnt seen it for a while

I like your logic!

I think that they probably bolt in so tidily that they could look factory - well that's the plan with mine.

But is it a significant enough power increase? Factory figures show 108hp for sohc zc, 120hp for dohc. So a little over 10%?

Or is the power increase figure only with regards to needing a cert on the oe engine modified?

In which case one could argue its the stock engine, just has a dohc head bolted to it. Which you could have done with the old engine.

Be like a non type r integra having a type r engine fitted, both are stamped as b18c but one is more powerful

But is it a significant enough power increase? Factory figures show 108hp for sohc zc, 120hp for dohc. So a little over 10%?

Or is the power increase figure only with regards to needing a cert on the oe engine modified?

In which case one could argue its the stock engine, just has a dohc head bolted to it. Which you could have done with the old engine.

Be like a non type r integra having a type r engine fitted, both are stamped as b18c but one is more powerful

The power increase figure refers to "bolt-on" modifications to the existing engine such as intake or exhaust mods, or perhaps injectors etc. Any engine replacement making more power needs a cert, even one making less power needs a cert if it is a different series of engine.