BMW apparent gearbox noise

thegreatestben

Hey not os but I believe the trans in my e46 316ti is the same as e30's and stuff.

Manual getrag 5 speed. Everything works great shifts well etc. Problem its having though is in each gear there is a certain rev range on deceleration where a very noticeable grumble/whine comes from under the car. It sounds like front of the gearbox but the position of the box under the car vs the driver position its hard to say.

The most noticeable time is decelerating in 5th any speed over 92kmh. Any application of throttle or going below that speed the noise goes away completely.

It will do it in 4th 3rd and 2nd too but in more specific speed vs rev ranges.

Not a peep during standard day to day driving.

I am thinking input shaft bearing but not so certain. I jumped underneath and made sure its not mounts or driveshaft touching under movement. These cars have a foil heatshield and it appears that had been touching a bit at the diff end of ds but not the cause of my house.

Help :)

Yeah externally everything appears in order. The guibo or rubber donut is fine. I don't think these are subject to much stress in the 316. After another drive today I have a suspicion it could be due to engine twisting over under decel causing the motor to touch something ever so slightly. The engine is half under the firewall so plenty of chances to nip something.

have seen the odd broken engine bearer (alloy bit between engine and mount) on these , was not as obvious as you would expect to look at ....... am wildly stabbing in the dark with these guesses , sooooo many things that fall off mid 90's on beemers :-)

• Like 1

What ever the problem is it relates to isolation of the drive train, so look for worn mounts the full length of the drive train, engine, gearbox and diff. Sound and vibration can be very hard to pin point especially in a modern car with sound proofing it will tend to come from where that is least effective rather than it's actual location.

Left field thinking might suggest a stone or the like could be trapped above gearbox or diff?

Another thought is a cracked or bent mounting in anything that is rigidly mounted to the drive train like the exhaust for example.