Ford 6 + trans help.

flyingbrick

Hi all.

So I'm sort of posting on behalf so please excuse the fact I don't really know what I'm talking about.

My cousin (and good friend) has got a mercury comet (wish he would post up a build thread because it's a beaut story).

The comet came with a fucked 3.3l 6cyl and I believe either a c3 trans (3speed column shift auto, linkage on left of trans)

He's bought himself a 4.1 6cyl which is featured in the other thread with the crazy block numbers.

The new engine comes with (I believe) a Borg Warner 3 speed auto box with linkage on the right.

Ideally he would keep this c3 box with new engine BUT the bellhousings bolt pattern is different.

Do any of you stockcar/Ford nuts have any parts laying round that may help? Car has huge sentimental value for him and its a MASSIVE project because of rust etc

• Like 1

Get a shifter cable and make it fit the linkage on the other side of the new trans - it will be a fuckload easier. (Mercury used different bellhousings etc at least in the V8 - not sure if they did with the I6 though)

They are a straight linear movement so a simple push pull cable will work fine.

PS - C3's are a SHIT transmission because fuck all parts are available for them.

The XA, XB and XC V8 with C4 powered Falcon with the column shift use a linkage that runs across the front of the trans pan to sort this problem.

Getting hard to find now but they are out there.

Before someone tells me such a thing doesn't exist, they do, I've owned a V8 Falcon with a bench seat and column shift.

• Like 1

I used a boat Morse cable when I put the 302 + C4 into my XF falcon to keep the collom shift.

The C4 trans has the dipstick tube going into the side of the pan where the Bogwanner goes through the op of the casting is a good way to check at a glance. 

• Like 2

The XA, XB and XC V8 with C4 powered Falcon with the column shift use a linkage that runs across the front of the trans pan to sort this problem.

Getting hard to find now but they are out there.

Before someone tells me such a thing doesn't exist, they do, I've owned a V8 Falcon with a bench seat and column shift.

Flip it