China Electronic Distributors

R100

Looking to replace my old points style distributor with an electronic unit.

Prices on trade me range from $150 for a china dizzy with built in coil up to nearly $1500 for almost visually the same item with a reputable name brand.

Anyone had any experience with these china dizzys ?

They look pretty but are they any good ?

Will be installed into a Ford 289 with mildcam and 4 barrel carb. 

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking to replace my old points style distributor with an electronic unit.

Prices on trade me range from $150 for a china dizzy with built in coil up to nearly $1500 for almost visually the same item with a reputable name brand.

Anyone had any experience with these china dizzys ?

They look pretty but are they any good ?

Will be installed into a Ford 289 with mildcam and 4 barrel carb. 

Pro-comp dizzys?

They are absolute pieces of shit and I have seen them cause numerous issues with smooth running.

But if you are putting them into your burnout machine then it will be mostly WOT only and I would say the problem will be negligible in that case.

M & H and Afterburner are a couple of the cheapy brands advertised on trade me. Also a local guy in town has brand new distrubutors for $120 that he imports from USA, although thy are made in china. 

The engine is for a street driven car, not for burnouts so im waning something reliable that works "better" than a points system.

Should be able to get a Malory or MSD entry level dizzy for like $300? Do that.

Second hand maybe.

I was bidding on a second hand MSD a couple of weeks ago but bidding went crazy and wasnt keen to spend nearly $400 on a second hand dizzy with no warranty. 

I guess im happy to spend up to $300 for something good. But it seems most stuff on trade me anyway is up around the $650 + mark.

What actually goes wrong with the china stuff ?  Do they loose spark, bushes prematurly wear or ? 

Just really bad build quality. The two I have personally had experience with. One had the hole in the trigger ring ovalised for some reason so it was literally just jammed onto the distributor shaft at a 10-20 degree angle and it caused issues with timing being all over the show. The other one had a really notchy advance weight mechanism.

The former was unfixable without new parts which I was told couldn't be supplied so I got a refund and the latter was fixable with probably a couple hours of filing and deburring and tidying it up but I thought 2 bad ones = fuck that. So sent it back for a refund too.

Yeah! as these boys have said dont get the chingy wing dizzies. unless you like 50 degrees of advance timing and faulty running.

have you considered a pertronix electronic ignition to convert you points dizzy into an electric?

Call me stupid but i just sold my old dizzy to someone today.  Got $50 for it minus the cap.

So yeah its $50 towards and electronc type.

From the responses above i think ill start hunting for an MSD or similar. 

ive just been through all this

my car has an electronic dizzy triggering a MSD streetfire ignition box

had factory lucas dizzy which cacked itself

fixed it but it died again

got the shits with it

i have a msd pro billet one but didnt want to use that cause its for my good engine

another msd one was going to be heaps and the dollar isnt very good so summit was not much help

bought a M+H china 'billet' distributor from segedins for $120

good points=

cheap

simple

lts surprisingly not shit- billet body, ball bearings, the internal advance bits are tig welded

bad points=

it had too much advance, and there is no adjustment. i had to take it apart and weld up the weights and file them to get it right

no vac advance

i dont think i would use a ready to run china one, ive heard of a few of those ignition modules failing

Stock dizzy 99% of the time is flogged out though, brass bushes or/and bearings are 40 years old etc. 

Honest just buy that Mallory or the equivalent entry level MSD, they have adjustable vacuum advance for decent economy, spring kits to change how quick the advance comes in and adjustable stoppers to change max advance. Don't need a ugly extra box and you can have a tune about as good as you will get with a mechanical device.

• Like 1

Wow, so cheap. Why would you Chinese when you can get that at that price.

Got all excited at that price. 

signed up an account with summit.

$200 USD plus shipping converted to NZD comes to $580 plus what ever i might get charged once it arrives here.