Anyone in otago throw around tig welders?

craig_b

Hey whats up, anyone  in Dunedin or Otago that knows how to tig weld and willing to teach? looked at doing a course at otago polytechnic but due to me working stupid hours it isnt really achievable. want to learn for hobby purposes not to get into engineering / metal fab as a job. any info or ideas throw my way cheers.

My advice is get a cheap scratch start jobby with an amperage control and argon flow meter (basically a DC Arc welder with a torch)  simple to learn with then once your comfortable buy something a bit flasher with AC if you want to do alloy. Oxy/Acetylene welding will actually teach you a lot about tig welding technique if you can get hold of one of those rigs and get good fusing stuff together you'll find the transition to tig quite natural.

What do you plan to weld?

If you don't intend to weld ali then that cuts machine costs alot.

Scratch start machines are good for mild steel and ok for stainless (can make a mess if you don't start or end well).

HF start (high frequency) is best, means you don't get contaminated tunstens and the tip stays sharper for longer.

Like said above it's very much like gas welding but with lots more control.

I've got a 200amp ac/dc single phase machine with all sorts of functions I don't really need but I wanted the 200A for welding ali.