Where to get good woodgrain vinyl?

SR ROLLA

Does anyone know where to get decent self-adhesive woodgrain vinyl from? I want to replace the fake woodgrain areas on the dash, centre console etc in my GTO. I want to get nice, thick, wood textured stuff that will last in the sun and heat, not just the thin cover-seal type stuff which will shrink/warp/fade in no time. Like the type you would use on the sides/tailgate of a woodpanel wagon.

Any recommendations?

Cheers

The fluid coatings are awesome.

And I should get into them.
But.......... meh.

Total Supply used to have it the vinyl version but they didn't move much so they canned it, they still have "woodgrain stripe remover" though.
Which boat painters think is super smelly stuff..... yeah, that bad. It'll mess you up good for the week :) but I digress.

http://solutions.3mnz.co.nz/wps/portal/3M/en_NZ/CG/Graphic_Solutions/Prod_Info/Catalog/?PC_Z7_RJH9U523085LC02VJN4NAR1S54000000_nid=HB86MJMDDHbeJ99QR0TDW9gl

Di-Noc is the stuff they used to stock, they could get some but I'm not sure if 3M would supply by the meter.
If you'd like some I can ask who still retails it.
Or if they still have some knocking around out the back somewhere.
It'd be past it shelf life if it was.

I used real wood veneer on a centre console about 7 years ago. Not exactly an easy job to do on the console, but I imagine the instrument panel and the hand brake cover would be much easier being single curvature surfaces. I got the veneer from Gibson Veneer, but they have gone out of business.

6a0b34298617157.jpgee1298298617183.jpg

• Like 3

^that there is just so much better than a sticker, i mean noone likes carbon fibre stickers, an wood grain irks me just the same! i guess it comes down to if it bothers you knowing its fake, since it will probably look real anyway haha

• Like 4

A lot of seventies cars the woodgrain was fake anyway. I know with my 110 that the dash and console woodgrain was simply a strong vinyl sticker, so if you were to put an actual wood on it, then that would be fake because they came as a sticker but if you were to put a sticker on it, then that would be real because the fake wood was real.

Lul.

• Like 4

Thanks guys, good stuff. I think veneer is probably a bit much ball ache, although dwlee's does look super lush. As kyteler points out, what is on there now is fake wood vinyl, so fake wood = legit original finish. Looks like 3M Di-Noc is the thing to try, will order some online and see how I get on and post results.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Yep 70's and 80's "wood paneling" (think National Lampoon's Vacation) were thick, really thick, vinyl "stickers".
It's where the "woodgrain stripe remover" product came from, it's that FUCKING HARD to remove :)

The Di-Noc isn't as thick as the OG stuff, but it's still really thick for a vinyl.

As all things finish related, the finish is only as good as the substrate/prep.

Looking forward to the results.

If you need any gear or get a bit stuck, PM me and swing by sometime.
You can check out AALAWS SR Decals and tell me if they're any good.