Tight box - 1st and reverse from stand still only

My name is Russell

1988 Pajero 4D56 turbo with 5 Speed Manuel

Is tight into 1st gear and makes a crunch into reverse ever second time.

Doesn't seem so bad when the box is warm.

Have just bleed the slave and seems about the same, pedal is a little bit spongy and slow to return to top when bleeding.  

Going up and down gears is fine once moving, have just done 3000+Kms, apparently its had this issue for a long time. 

So is this likely to be the syncros? Clutch? Master / Slave cylinder? 

Thanks Oldschool knowledge bank. 

Have read what you said but sounds to me clutch is not fully disengaging. Possibly not bleed properly ? Or faulty / leaking clutch slave or master cyl

Ok thanks R100, one join does look to have a slight seepage that i didn't think would matter to much? (I think anyway, can't be 100% sure with the way these motors are so good at sending oil all over the place) 

I would be pulling out the clutch master and slave and tear apart at least looking at the seal and bore condition. You should be able to get new seal kits pretty easily and cheaply - it's always fixed any clutch hydraulic issues I've had.

• Like 1

Pivot is inside the bellhousing. Yes changing oil is a good fix - especially if it has the wrong oil in it.

Does the clutch pedal return slowly even when the system is bled up and the nipples are closed?

Also could be pushrod length adjustment which is easy.

What car man? I could take a look on Wednesday if you want.

Pivot is inside the bellhousing. Yes changing oil is a good fix - especially if it has the wrong oil in it.

Does the clutch pedal return slowly even when the system is bled up and the nipples are closed?

Also could be pushrod length adjustment which is easy.

What car man? I could take a look on Wednesday if you want.

Ah yup, so a little tricky to get too pivot :( 

Ok cheers KK, I will check oil level and give it an oil change. 

Its more so just returning slowly when bleeding (kept going down and staying on the floor even, I presumed this was from letting to much fluid out at once, as doing smaller strokes stoked this), not that spungy once locked up just ever so slightly, unsure of myself now might even just be different to what I'm used too. 

Pushrod length looks fixed on this one? Or could the adjustment be at master end?

Is this thing that tooted at you the other day :)  getting lots of blank stares, people not recognizing me in it. 

jugupl.jpg

Thanks for advice so far will investigate more in daylight 

When bleeding the clutch pedal - it will be lucky to return at all - there is no grunty return spring like there is on a brake pedal.

So I wouldn't take a slow returning clutch pedal when bleeding as anything at all.

Ignore that.

Takes 2 people to properly bleed the clutch.

Person 1 pumps the clutch pedal as many times as it takes to get a pedal feel then hold the pedal down to the floor and wait.

Person 2 releases the bleed nipple and drains the fluid into a half full bleed bottle looking for air bubbles coming out the tube into the liquid then nips the nipple back up again.

Back to person 1 and repeat until no more air is coming out of the clutch slave into the bottle.

Pushrod adjustment will probably be at the clevis attached to the clutch pedal.

When replacing the gearbox oil then make sure you get the right stuff (RTFM) or you could be just back at square one and $50 down the tube.

To me it sounds like old oil and synchros . 

But clutch hydraulics will do that too but they tend to happen all the time, not just when cold . 

Could also be a combonation . 

KK will suss it for you 

My initial thoughts was synchros, because you can get it into second gear, give the truck a little move forward and it will pop straight into 1st smooth as butter.  As if it prefers the new alignment.

When rolling up to an intersection, if you slowly put pressure into 1st as rolling up to an intersection it will pop in.

Should have mentioned above earlier but forgot to re type it after loosing the first effort at making this post.

Sounds a little bit like wrong oil. As it heats up the viscosity increases and lubricates everything. If it does turn out to be synchros after you change the oil you should save the oil change the synchro then put the oil back in. No point wasting good oil!

• Like 1