_Matt

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought some Sabelt Harnesses.

They are only the 4 point ones, but they can take the crutch strap to make them 5-6 point.

IMG_0652.jpg

Got most of the drivers one in. Just need to put in some seatbelt plates on the tunnel for the lap belts to mount to.

IMG_0653.jpg

How it currently sits with my daily's wheels on it. Will swap them back soon. WedsSports are so much better.

IMG_0655.jpg

• Like 5

Got both off the harnesses installed!

Even though they are 4 point I really struggle to slide forward at all when they are done up tight.

Need to shorten up the shoulder belts a bit, but that's too much effort to remove the seats again haha.

IMG_0657.jpg

Noticed both the rear trailing arms were bent. No idea how that happened?

Already replaced them with some from the wreckers.

IMG_0663.jpg

IMG_0664.jpg

Today I made a radiator cooling panel thing.

Probably won't do anything but it tidies up the engine bay a bit.

And put a tow strap on.

IMG_3200.jpg

Also did some photoshop of what it would look like with the lower doors paint champagne.

I think it looks better, evens out the white a bit more.

Opinions?

IMG_3194_Recovered.jpg

IMG_3194.jpg

• Like 2

I like it how it is tbh. I like the white better than the fake styling line across the quarter panels. 

Have you managed to keep this road legal? funnily enough I've got a cert plate that would suit this thing perfectly... 

I can see where you're coming from, as the colour change happens on a flat surface and not on a swage line or something.

That was how the factory two-tone ae101's were though.

It is going to be road legal, currently trying to save for the cert.

That cert plate probably wouldn't work since I'd have to go to VTNZ for the wof since it's green stickered.

They would certainly find something's a bit dodgy, I would hope haha.

Not sure what happens with the green sticker though?

Does it get removed from going through certification and I don't have to pay the extra to remove it when I go for a wof?

Also do I need my MSNZ license before going for a cert? Do I apply for an authority card straight after cert or before?

Yeah true they were just a line. Probably wouldn't look that bad. What about a small pin stripe above the split? I love pin stripes on 2 tone cars..

Yeah you'll need a minimum of a club sport license (apply online and do basic test about flag colours) and get your authority card done before cert as they need to record the authority card details on the cert info.

Haha dw was just joking bout the cert plate was just amusing how similar my car was when I got my cert/cage done.

My parents found a oil cooler sandwich plate at the swapmeet down in Rangiora last weekend.
I think it's a Franklin Engineering one.

When I went to install it, there wasn't enough thread for it to wind on, could only get about half a turn.

10836633_10204761970042949_2018537555_n.

Will I have to get either one of these with a longer end?
Any ideas where I could get them from?

10947687_10204761769997948_995019295_n.j

I've had this issue before - i cut the 4age stock one in half then used a piece of tube to fit between and welded it up.  The tube I chucked in the lathe and machined the inside to the right diameter but left a step in the middle so the two original pieces push hard in to the step, then just tig welded around it.  Might have some photos somewhere if you want?

EDIT:

10581133_10152171335766829_738050597_n.j

I've had this issue before - i cut the 4age stock one in half then used a piece of tube to fit between and welded it up.  The tube I chucked in the lathe and machined the inside to the right diameter but left a step in the middle so the two original pieces push hard in to the step, then just tig welded around it.  Might have some photos somewhere if you want?

EDIT:

(pic)

Sweet! Thanks for that. I'll do something like that. Should be easy enough

I might have a longer one in the shed i can find it and measure it for you if you want

EDIT: I had a look but i think i put long one in my car cause the one i found is 40mm long so is probably the same as what you have.

EDIT 2: lll go measure up the other fitting size as well.

• Like 1

Thanks Toddy415, your sandwich plate bolt looks a little longer than mine.

Doesn't matter though, made this one longer

IMG_0669.jpg

Pulled off the headers today as well to try and fix the gasket leaking.

Left is the one I tried to make but still leaked and right is the stuffed original one.

So made another one and hopefully it works

IMG_0668.jpg