Matt's AE101 Trueno trackcar

_Matt

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Done a few trackdays and an autocross on the back track at Manfeild.

Not very much has changed apart from some Toyo Proxes R888's, better brake pads and changed up the engine bay a bit.

Handles so sweet around corners now, apart from one wheel spinning coming out of corners, because no LSD.

An LSD is next on the list to get, once I can find a decent one for a reasonably price.

Drove it up to a Taupo trackday today, it was going good until one of the front brake pads flew out going down the back straight at 180km/h.

Luckily there was a long run off area, so no damage apart from some groves in the disc. We managed to get a new pad in there and drove it back home.

11372400_1840552926170341_1521789985_n.j

IMG_0811.jpg

IMG_0849.jpg

• Like 5

Ahh, the old brake pad falling out trick... Check your rotor thicknesses and keep an eye on your pads to make sure it doesn't happen again. I had an incident when racing Rhys's AE101 once at 160kph going into Higguns... The front of the car wasn't that happy about it. 

101ow.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Oh such good memories... Funnily enough was the second time it had happened. First time also had Markku in the car going into the hairpin at manfield. Managed to save that one.

My brake failures were due to twin pot calipers with spaced discs to centre them properly and not checking if it was possible for them to fall out.. Lesson learnt

I think the cause of my one falling out was the pads being quite worn which I didn't realise. Rotor thickness seems fine. Would have changed them before going up to Taupo. The other side had about 2mm left in it.

There's still a problem though. Your pads shouldn't fall out even when they're down to bare metal and bare metal is better than nothing. When there's no pad you lose a lot of pedal pressure and the car just doesn't stop, but bare metal will still bring you to a halt eventually. 

Maybe it's just a 101 thing? 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Installed some adjustable arms in the rear and camber plates in the front.

Had to make some custom top plates for the front, since the stud spacing wasn't correct. Which was weird since they were meant to fit AE101's.

The stance is much better now, looks awesome from behind.

Spent the most in one go on this car a few days ago. Hopefully the stuff arrives next week.

IMG_0887.jpg

IMG_3326.jpg

IMG_3329.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
Didn't trust the standard brakes anymore so,

bought the 4 pot Wilwood brake kit with 280mm Brembo discs from MRP.

Installed them this afternoon, just need to sort out the braided lines and they are done.

Wheel alignment next, then it can go back on the track on the 26th if funds allow.

IMG_0902.jpg

IMG_0904.jpg

• Like 7

Whats on the 26th? Road and Track is on the 20th then Trackday Xperience on the 27th iirc

It is the Constructors/MG car club trackday. A few co-workers are going, that's why I wanted to go, but found out more about it today. It sounds like there isn't going to be much track time so might give it a pass since I need to save some money as well.

Any chance you could give me the p/n of those calipers looking at 4 pot options on my ae 92 and am curious of the size of the 4pots hes using

I'm pretty sure these are the ones:

Screenshot_2015_09_08_17_34_55.png

• Like 1

What pads did you get with them? I found the polymatrix B compound the best. The street compound is rubbish even for driving on the street funnily enough.

Should go much better now!

I only got the street pads. Didn't have enough money for the polymatrix ones haha. Will get some soon though!

• 3 years later...
26 minutes ago, JoKer said:

Just saw this in your Sig : still got?

Long gone, pretty much sold it exactly 3 years ago. Went down Wellington ways, he takes it to Manfeild quite often I think, I haven’t seen it since I sold it though. Sorta regret it as it was such a fun car but the money was useful. I’ll get another track orientated car one day!

• Thanks 1