help with vac advance, fuel economy, EGT and all things related to distributors on modified, low vacuum engines

BlownCorona

they are still on the sharper end of the $1000 stick are they not? im not that prepared to spend that amount of coin just to get a bot of economy at cruise. and with a full blown engine management system there's little reason for me to retain carbs in the first place, 

might sound like a weird attitude i suppose, but i cant really afford to throw that kinda cash at something that seems like an overkill of a solution 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Heres your coil driver

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/bosch-bip373-coil-driver-mod-kit-p-230.html

This is if you trigger with a vr sensor optical or hall effect is much easier and dosent require this board just a few resistors

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/zeal-engineering-daughterboard-with-dual-vr-conditioners-p-378.html

further to all that a megasquirt should play well with the innovate wideband controller i also have, making tuning AFR even better, correct? 

kinda wish i held out for R1 carbs that have a TPS haha, never thought i was actually need one on a car made in the 70s running carbs

hopefully ive read everything correctly. but this looks like it will solve all the issues, aswell as add some nice tuning features that i can use, even without EFI. its cheap as hell too! 

now before i hit order, and go sit by my letterbox for the next two weeks. is there anything i should be ordering at the same time. so far i have the ms1 kit, the coil driver, and the db9 cable. 

i intend to trigger it from the distributor points. unless anyone can tell me why this is a really bad idea. im just not a fan of the sensor way down on the crank out in the open, also its pretty unsightly, and who are we kidding, its all about the style... 

cheers for the help! 

Yeah the 2.2 boards are pretty basic and easy to assemble. The biggest let down with ms is alot of people that do try them end up doing a poor job wiring them up and this is where alot of the problems stem from. Best thing about using a trigger wheel is you feed the processor a higher resolution timing signal that makes tge timing calculation more stable but theres nothing wrong with using the points just make sure you spend some time setting the hard ware latency up so timing dosent wander through the rev range

Cool man good luck best thing is if you want to go to injection ecu will support it and you can upgrade it to ms2 for higher resolution maps and a few extra features etc. Ms1 works fine but I try to use ms2 as much as possible just for faster processor and better maps etc. The ms1 is very old technology compared to other ecus out there but they do work ok tho.