3sge beams swap

krazy

hey guy im looking at doing a 3sge swap into my ke25 I already have the motor got it cheap but im just wondering if you guys that have done them can give me some tips, am also wondering if I should factory ecu or not

thanks

What sort of things do you want to know?

Altezza 3sge and 6 speed?

First of all be prepared to spend a lot more, than if you were to go with something like a 4age. 

Especially if you go with a link ecu.

Be prepared to cut the gearbox tunnel and maybe the firewall.

Will probably need a ke70/Ae86 sway bar to fit around the sump??

Engine mounts are pretty easy to make. Use the altezza rubber mounts.

gearbox mount will need to be fab'd.

and the shifter will be about 300mm further back?

hope that helps

I was planning on using a w55 or w57 with a y series bell housing which should fit with out modification or very little and is the factory ecu that hard to use as have read they need a speedo input which shouldn't be that hard to overcome also a  throttle switch on the foot pedal for the electronic throttle body, did you have problems with the height of the engine

thanks

Save yourself a ball ache and just run the 6 speed with all factory bits.

Using any of the W bellhousings means custom/spaced out flywheel, (or machining bellhousing) ring gear modification and some other mucking around.

The only benefit would be if there was a significantly improved shifter position, but that depends on which W box you get.

Regardless, your engine swap will likely go like this:

1. Cool, cheap engine with 200hp!

2. Tries to fit engine/gearbox, transmission tunnel needs enlarging.

3. Tries to fit engine, intake manifold doesnt fit.

4. Not to worry I'll convert to quads $$$$$$$

5. Returnless fuel line is a pain, need custom FPR $$

6. Tall motor, sump needs modifying $$
7. Exhaust manifold needs to be remade $$$

7. Now it needs an aftermarket ECU to run right $$$$$$$$$$

8. Tuning dual VVTI $$$$$$$$
9. Car needs cert $$

10. Fixing any cert issues $$$$

8. Now you've spend $10k haha.

Super fun though! But definitely not the easiest or most cost effective swap.

For same money spent, you could instead bang together a nice 4AGE NA or turbo setup with the money spent on fun bits rather than sorting out packaging or ECU issues.

• Like 2

After dropping a 4A-GE into my KE30, I realised there was a lot more shit to do than I first thought.

Putting a beams in a KE25 will be a tight as fit. All though planting up a W57 will retain you the same shifter hole you will still need to modify the gearbox tunnel.

Lots of $$$$$ required for a beams. Doing a 4A-GE on the other hand is super simple. time consuming but very simple

• Like 1

The advice in this thread is good. I've done it both ways so far and the 6 speed option was by far the easier option. We also did a complete conversion on a friends ST142 Corona Wagon using a standard loom and it wasn't too difficult. 

The best way to do it is to get a full conversion - Engine, loom, ECU, clutch/fly and 6 speed and put the whole lot in place. Keep the loom as complete as possible until you get it running and start chopping wires bit by bit until you have a "bare bones" loom. The factory clutch and dual mass flywheel are fine for a road car, but solid fly is a good change if you can find one for a good price. 

• Like 1

I bought the engine as an auto conversion but ditched the auto so I have to buy a clutch and flywheel anyway so no point going for a dual mass did you use factory loom and ecu or did you use an aftermarket computer?

thanks for all the great advice and sorry if im asking to many question

@krazy, I hope you realise the auto engines are different to the manual engines? Different Valves & compression if im not mistaken.

6. Tall motor, sump needs modifying $$

8. Now you've spend $10k haha.

Not sure about earlier Corollas. but i didn't have to mod the sump. And the bonnet slightly touches the plastic cover on the top of the engine.

Shit, I did most the work my self and i spent a hell of a lot more than that haha

Don't want to put you off, but is a big commitment. I have no idea how, but it easily took me 2 years to do mine.

if i was to do it again, i would go with a blacktop 4age & altezza 6 speed.

• Like 2

Its definitely false economy to think that buying an auto engine for cheap is going to save you money. I had to buy mine all in bits and it cost a heap more.

Getting a whol engine/trans/loom/ecu/airbox etc is best way to go.

If your engine doesnt have the airflow meter and airbox youre already fucked if trying to run standard ecu. Which might have a mare if it sees the autobox is missing.

• Like 2

Getting a whol engine/trans/loom/ecu/airbox etc is best way to go.

The enormous airbox with many vaccum lines and flappy flaps

My "conversion' even came with the altezza clutch pedal which i modded and used with the altezza master & slave cylinder.

only thing missing that i felt should have been there was the speedo cluster. (not that i would have used it)

i know the autos are 10.5:1 compression ratio have stainless valves instead of titanium and less aggressive cams, the ecu shouldn't be to bad as long as it sees that the inhibitor switch is in park or neutral and an altezza pod filter set up will take care of the afm air box scenario.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I am currently running a 3sge+ t in my rt104 corona . realy solid engine and i found pretty easy to fit in. im running a link ecu in mine i have run  factory ecus in past conversions and just had troubles. im running the factory 6 speed with the shifter in the forward mounting position. its running 10 pound boost getting 196kw at the wheels makes the car pretty fun to drive, The engine is the cheap part its all the other bits and pieces that come in $200 or more lots that add up.

• Like 2