mtbtimr & Sammy1222's 1972 Austin 1300 Discussion

mtbtimr

Don't bother flaring the guards. Just pump the hydrolastic right up and run it rebel. Most cops won't notice a tidy looking grandpa spec car like that. I've only been pulled up once in my Wolseley 1300 but lots of times in my Falcons. Love that replacement washer reservoir. To get the dints out of the bumper you might get away with just beating the fuck out of it with a hammer if the chrome plating is good and well stuck on.

Cheers for the post, may have to as going for a wof and sticking a good 50mm out.. surely wont pass. Well not where we went last time anyway. 

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Noob-ass question incoming...

We took the front brake caliper off and the piston fell right out. It's now been lying around for a bit but we are looking to get Maggie back on her feet. 

The seals are all still in there and we've wiped out the cylinder and cleaned off the piston. 

Can we just press the piston back in or do we need to replace all the seals?

(Seals are going to be ~$60 off ebay)

New post on the build thread soon - have a few cool things to show.

Noob-ass question incoming...

We took the front brake caliper off and the piston fell right out. It's now been lying around for a bit but we are looking to get Maggie back on her feet. 

The seals are all still in there and we've wiped out the cylinder and cleaned off the piston. 

Can we just press the piston back in or do we need to replace all the seals?

(Seals are going to be ~$60 off ebay)

New post on the build thread soon - have a few cool things to show.

just do them while theyre apart bud. you dont want to get to the point of bleeding the brakes up and then them fucking out. see if repco have seals too. everyting doesnt have to come from overseas.

• Like 1

Yeah Repco and Supercheap have a surprising amount of parts for these. 

Remember the engine is the same as a Mini so ask for parts for one of them too. Repco had 4 different kinds of head gaskets ranging from $80 to $25

Also not sure what there is here but in Chch there was a place called Butler Automart which had an old bloke there who knew the part number for A Series engine mounts etc without looking it up and had heaps of new old stock. 

just do them while theyre apart bud. you dont want to get to the point of bleeding the brakes up and then them fucking out. see if repco have seals too. everyting doesnt have to come from overseas.

Yeah Repco and Supercheap have a surprising amount of parts for these. 

Remember the engine is the same as a Mini so ask for parts for one of them too. Repco had 4 different kinds of head gaskets ranging from $80 to $25

Also not sure what there is here but in Chch there was a place called Butler Automart which had an old bloke there who knew the part number for A Series engine mounts etc without looking it up and had heaps of new old stock. 

Cheers guys, yea everyone seems to have a story about an old 1100 or 1300 they once had.

Guy at the bearing shop knew the part number of the bearings off by heart and said he once drowned a 1300 by leaving it a wee bit close to the waves on 90 mile beach when he went to take a piss  <_<

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good boys. Whats tbe end design of the dash gna look like?

Cheers!

We are leaving the dash as it is for the time being as it's reasonably tidy... might put a nice analog clock in though.

For under the dash we used the old shelf as a template so it should be the same shape, and we are using the old foam front/heater controls to keep the our knee caps from being cut up. 

Going to spray it black and line the bottom (or maybe all of it) with carpet - either the same as the rest of the car or something a bit more interesting. 

Will also put the head deck somewhere in the mix, as hidden as possible.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to risk mass ridicule here and say the new wheels look Awesome but reckon the front could come up to match the back I have a thing about the wheels following the guards if they are all up in there shit just looks broken to me.

Looks good! 

There's no way to change front and rear heights separately. But if you do let some out, the back will come down the most. Kind of.

10704400_4557136503874_55925746530764205

I would just chuck something heavy in the boot if you need it. Be careful about the wheels eating the guards when this happens..

259577_2279995656776_255457197_o.jpg

• Like 1

Looks good! 

There's no way to change front and rear heights separately. But if you do let some out, the back will come down the most. Kind of.

I would just chuck something heavy in the boot if you need it. Be careful about the wheels eating the guards when this happens..

Cheers dude that's good to know. 

The dream would be a little electric pump to a reservoir in the boot so you could slam it when you parked up. ;)

Many moons ago I owned a 1100. I was 9 actually my dad thought it was a good way of getting out of the 6pm milk and bread run. With a bit of thought and some correct valves and you could re jig the system. I'd Roll With A Pressure Vessel Full Of Spastic Fluid Small Keg Fire Extinguisher Etc To Drop The Car Dump Pressure From Tank And Open The Valves To Raise Pressurize Tank With Air Then open valves again. At desired height shut valves and dump tank pressure again. 5 valves some creative metal line work and a bit of wiring..... Do it...

• Like 1

I've dailied these things off and on since the 80's and still have two of them. Must remember to scan some of my old photos and post them in the appropriate place for the amusement of fellow MOWOG owners. I agree with Muncie with regard to lowered hydrolastic just looking like it's broken. I like the thought of adjustable ride height though. Normal for cruising and being able to raise the fuck out of it to get some decent ground clearance for off road use. Also being able harden up the rear independently of the front to prevent it dragging its arse when towing would be a very good thing.

• Like 2