L26 Running Hot

D1RTY6

Hi guys, 

Just starting to look into why my L26 is running hot..just want to get your ideas before i go buying a heap of new parts 

Background

Old L26 6 cylinder in my Gloria is running hot (sits at 3/4 on the gauge on the open road, just over half on around town)

Its never gone past the 3/4 mark, but being that my old engine used to sit around 1/4 and barely get close to 1/2 i am a little concerned...

It currently doesn't have a thermostat in it, i tried putting one it but it just started to cook itself (went above the 3/4 mark) with a thermostat in 

When i put he engine in the Water pump seemed to be in good order

I have been told the radiator was in good condition (I trust the person who told me)  i have checked it out and i tend to agree

The viscous van works, i even have a electric fan on the switch hooked up aswell 

So what else does that leave to be making the engine run hot??

thanks in advance

Nathan

Get the radiator rodded.

I believe the radiator was checked over before i got it (could be wrong, i will check with him) 

Does roding just clear all the built up gunk in the radiator?

headgasket?

I thought this, but i would expect either gunky oil, white smoke out of the exhaust, or it actually overheating (going past the 3/4 mark)

Yea they take a tank off and put a dip stick like thing through each tube. Cleans out all the crap. I too have had a radiator tested that turned out to be full of crap. Got it rodded and it solved my hot running issues immediately.

• Like 1

Yea they take a tank off and put a dip stick like thing through each tube. Cleans out all the crap. I too have had a radiator tested that turned out to be full of crap. Got it rodded and it solved my hot running issues immediately.

Cheers man

What am i looking at getting stung to get it rodded? and is there anything you would recommend getting done aswell while they have the tank off 

So tried a aftermarket gauge and figured out actually how hot its getting? definitely look into getting that radiator rodded, if the water pump is actually good and the rad isn't blocked it doesn't sound good.

Not aftermarket, Pulled a gauge from a 260c i scrapped.

i will get radiator checked out and rodded in the coming week and see if that remedy the situation 

by "doesn't sound good" are you thinking it could be a head gasket? (if it turns out that the radiator and the WP are fine)

Already stated but getting radiator checked would be my first step.

Will get done in next week and report back, cheers

If the radiator is the one from the white Brougham it's already been cleaned and tested by a1 radiators. :), it had to have an outlet resoldered too.

I'd be getting a gauge as my green one was the same at around 3/4

Just the man i was hopping to here from :) 

yup is the radiator out of the white brougham, i thought it i remember you guys said it had been but wasnt sure! 

i can get a new gauge and try it but  that wouldn't explain why i cant run a thermostat in it.....

Yup put a semi decent aftermarket gauge on it and see what's actually happening.

But yea there isn't much that can go wrong here. With no thermostat, a good water pump and radiator you should sit dead cold at speed and warm up to where the fan comes in when sitting still/around town. After that its either something weird or head-gasket land. Is it using/pushing water?

Yup put a semi decent aftermarket gauge on it and see what's actually happening.

But yea there isn't much that can go wrong here. With no thermostat, a good water pump and radiator you should sit dead cold at speed and warm up to where the fan comes in when sitting still/around town. After that its either something weird or head-gasket land. Is it using/pushing water?

I hate headgasket land! been there twice already (on my L20), L-series don't seem to agree with my driving habbits 

Not using any liquid, not enough for me to notice anyway, water also appears to be flowing or pushing as you put it 

I mean is it pushing any water out the cap noticeably? any bubbles? see how hot it actually is getting then contemplate some more.

It doesn't push water out currently (with no thermostat) under normal operation drove a good 100km with out it going over 3/4, but had a we play in the my old mans paddock in the wet for 2 or so minutes and it shot up from 1/2 to in the red extremely fast and started bubbling into the overflow

When i tried putting the thermostat in it overheated and was bubbling within 1km of home