Bantam

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers nvmyvl.

Running out of time fast for Brits at the Beach. Need to put in some hours this week.

Hinged the door up. I have some 20x10mm angle ali that goes around to form the door stop and weather tightness. 

qkb0glvp.ih1.jpg

Getting ready to glue the lid on. Will buy a cheap pack of straps and have timber going across to squeeze the ply onto the spars. Need to get every thing just right, plenty of glue ready and a few helpers. Only one chance to get it right. Just getting the ply use to the shape. One more piece to be glued onto the big sheet.

0ekcrdue.ewh.jpg

Looking at using International Paints two pack clear finish. Spoke to a boatbuilder who recommended it. I will be use it on the outside, if I get it cheap enough, will use in on the interior. I will just be using a brush and roller. Thoughts?
  • Like 1

y2wb1i4z.yv1.jpg

A huge thanks to Blair for the window blades. I owe you some beers, make sure you come to the next burger fuel night. Still working on the door, Thats a protective cover on the louver blades. Looking sweet.

• Like 1

o3l2fiiw.hdq.jpg3f35vz3q.5cn.jpgkffvn542.zel.jpgsaxuaaan.xsb.jpg5vtcysh3.n2j.jpg

Glued up 3 sheets for the main part of the roof. Will let the glue cure for a week before fitting.

Glued the outside skin to the hatch. Wrapped how it turned out, I give it a cuddle every time I see it! I haven't trimmed or fitted it to the body yet so super happy as I thought it was not going to match the body line.

Heaps of beer to celebrate this week.

Just the roof to do now, will need a bit of thought and quick hands. Glue dries fast and a 3metre sheet is fun to handle. Once thats done, its mainly ali trim, and pretty bits to do.

Yeha.

• Like 2

Looking good.

Decided how/if to get your curve on the mudguards yet?

Yeah, will either buy some curved ones on TM, or I have heaps of big plywood offcuts so will make a MDF mould and laminate 3 or 4 pieces to get that oldschool curve....

Shit yeah this is looking amazing!

On another note, was reading about your troubles removing the gearbox in your mk1, did you try loosening the bolts on the crossmember? You can let them down a fair amount without unbolting them which gives you some extra room / depth to angle the motor backwards, worth remembering for next time as I had the same prob last time I dropped my gearbox... 

• Like 1

Shit yeah this is looking amazing!

On another note, was reading about your troubles removing the gearbox in your mk1, did you try loosening the bolts on the crossmember? You can let them down a fair amount without unbolting them which gives you some extra room / depth to angle the motor backwards, worth remembering for next time as I had the same prob last time I dropped my gearbox... 

Hopefully not a next time. Mate I had everything unbolted. I blame the sidedrafts. Next time the whole bloody lot, engine and box is coming out.

Hopefully not a next time. Mate I had everything unbolted. I blame the sidedrafts. Next time the whole bloody lot, engine and box is coming out.

Haha I feel your pain, sidedrafts in a standard mk1 bay deff make things tight / super difficult... I'm not looking forward to that next time, I have the same problem you had, my gearbox leaks  :doubt:

• 1 month later...

When you stand at the back, what height is the shelf thing relative to you? For scale purposes.

What are your plans for cooking/beer storage facilities back there?

The rear kitchen area is going to be for food prep and storage of plates, vegemite, gingernuts, English Breakfast tea etc. Beer storage will be in a trusty chillybin. Cooking will be on the WeberQ. I will check that height for you soon.

A little bit more done. Glued the outer skin in place. Man that was fun. Got glue everywhere on my clothes. Let the glue set for 7 days before removing straps. 

Stole a doorlock off an old screen door I had laying around. Nice narrow mortice with small 30mm backset. Fitted the edges with ali right angle extrusion. 

Just a few jobs left, then will strip the bits off it to clear coat it.

wewmfnbs.l4m.jpg

25m4zunk.eiz.jpg

s0ii1h0a.n0f.jpgvodxxyhq.dil.jpg2unn4ibh.32g.jpguoewbii1.yjp.jpgkrzc4d1m.j0t.jpg0qjs1fvv.oyn.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...