Bantams Teardrop love shack trailer

Bantam

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

that's awesome! 

if you get a double/queen matress, how do you get it in? have you left a trap door at the bottom of the galley?

Fits a double 1350mm wide. Will use a 150mm foam el cheapo. Got a single in it now. They just fold in through the door way.

• Like 1

Get some sweet, but small, solid steels with chrome caps and or trim

rings. Small rounded mud guards also, would be the cherry on top.

Yeah, next stage. Thought about forming some plywood flowing ones. Have being looking on TM for some vintage ones. Yes for the wheels. 

What dimensions is your again? i remember measuring stuff when me and fluffy were there but have forgotten now? guessing you went for 4'x8' and 4' high as well? or did you go for 5' wide? how deep is your galley and how high did you put your internal shelving thing?

can i come check this out IRL again? keen to jump in and see how this size accomodates a Ned sized person before i get much further into designing mine. guessing James will be keen to have a peek as well maybe, we keep talking about how jealous we are haha

What dimensions is your again? i remember measuring stuff when me and fluffy were there but have forgotten now? guessing you went for 4'x8' and 4' high as well? or did you go for 5' wide? how deep is your galley and how high did you put your internal shelving thing?

can i come check this out IRL again? keen to jump in and see how this size accomodates a Ned sized person before i get much further into designing mine. guessing James will be keen to have a peek as well maybe, we keep talking about how jealous we are haha

Yeah come on over. My trailer was only 7x4. 8x4 would be great, extra galley room. Because I curved the front of the teardrop, I used the full 8x4 sheet of ply. I would have to join the plywood to do a 8x4. Galley can be quite deep and low, as its above yer feet. 

• Like 1

Theres a poll on tnttt where they ask what people would do differently if they had to do it again, and most of them said they wanted it wider or longer or lighter. I know you cant have them all, and i know you havent used it yet so maybe a little premature, but any thing you would have done differently? or maybe build it in a different way that would have been easier or something?

Theres a poll on tnttt where they ask what people would do differently if they had to do it again, and most of them said they wanted it wider or longer or lighter. I know you cant have them all, and i know you havent used it yet so maybe a little premature, but any thing you would have done differently? or maybe build it in a different way that would have been easier or something?

If I had a bigger tow vehicle I would go 8x4 trailer. That would give an extra 300mm of space in the galley where you need it. Would like a MK5 Cortina station wagon with hot pinto and large Teardrop, ultimate combo!

My main items when I built it were

1) light enough to tow behind a 1600cc

2) Must be teardrop shaped

3) cheap to build

Most teardrops when camping seem to have popup tents to provide living room and shade. Some 8x5s have bunks for kids inside.

I like that plastic core aliminium sheet (alibond?) product for roof lining

Maybe 16mm ply sides then cover with that alibond.

Double cladding the sides would be quicker and easy to finish. Bloody marine varnish was expensive to buy.

I find that a lot of the American teardrops are heavy with fancy cupboards, air cond units, fridges etc. Would rather have NZ made 1970s caravan. To me a teardrop is a better way to camp than tenting, not having the sun wake you up thru thin nylon fabric.

The main reason I haven't started mine is I'm still running a 1300 engine, once that small issue has been overcome then building a teardrop will be my main project. Probably a project for next winter to be honest.

Americans go overboard on everything! I've been watching that small spaces TV show and watching a lot of blogs online about these things and taking in ideas that other people have had about how to arrange things in mine. I'm not going to build a galley in mine, instead I'm going to focus on multi use space inside the cabin.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...