Racing slicks - recommendations and experiences

eke_zetec_RWD

Looking to purchase some slicks in the near future for my lotus 7 replica.

currently running R888's 205-50-15 front and 225-45-15 back on a 8 inch rim.

i find them pretty good but thats all i know really. i can find their limits pretty easy. can lap manfield 1.16 no probs on them.

im thinking softs because such a light car plus 8 lap races max usually.

iv looked at hankook - the semis look to be identical to the slicks apart from two grooves and nearly half the price.

avon have a good range of sizes which suit me

tyres from the states are sooo cheap ( as is everything else ) but freight is a bit of a killer unless i get lots at once.

I dont really want to spend over a grand for a set.

what have you tried on what car and how do you rate them?

Cheers Jase

Used to run kumho V700's on the silvia and they were pretty average at best, now I just purchase used NZV8 slicks. Cheaper and better. I've heard plenty of good things about the R888, a lot of the top clubsport guys down here run them and do very well. 

I have Michelin TRS slicks on my lotus and they were great for the 4 laps I have done on them. I have driven on Markku's Hankooks and they were great too. Basically Slicks are great, that is the extent of my knowledge.

• Like 2

I was thinking of recommending TRS slicks to him but the fact they were 13's I wasn't sure if they'd be too small for his brakes. They run 200's on the front and 240's on the rear correct? That may be changing with the updated cars next season though.

• Like 1

Let's just buy tyres out of the states Jase... I'm yearning for a set or two of 225/580/15 or similar size slicks. 

Basically this will happen - just see what people recommend.

15s is only size i can run. brakes wouldn't allow  anything less.

avons have a real good range of sizes, has anyone used new avons?

Tentatively putting my hand up for something of the 225 /15 variety if a groupbuy goes ahead.

I really liked my old dunlop 02G's from 10 years ago they were far more awesome that a set of 03G's I ran on my evo for a while

Hankooks are the tits. Run softs of the Corolla and they last awesome and work good from cold. In a car as light as yours you should have no worries. 

Other slicks we've tried;

Khumo - not bad, cheap but don't last more than 1 or 2 meetings on a 860kg race weight car which I consider pretty poor

Dunlop - pay the earth and they are shit, worse than a khumo

Michelin - have heard they are awesome, can't get anyone to bring any into the country

Do they do that 'semi' in a soft compound or is it just the medium? generally semi's will be a medium slick compound