Modern Daily Issue - Beams 3S-GE Altezza

Lumby

Chaps and Chappettes,

Not old school I know, but my daily decided to throw its toys this morning with what appear to be a few electrical gremlins.  Symptoms are lack of electrical power - ie wipers, windows etc all struggling to operate, and limited lights, ABS warning Light and Battery warning light on... seemed to drive okay but I wasn't going to risk it...

It ran fine to work yesterday, but when I started it to drive home, there was a distinct change in tone from the engine bay - a higher pitched whir / whine had set in. A few tests round the block and no warning lights meant I figured it was ok to drive home.. The noise seemed to go quieten right down once everything came up to temperature..

My immediate suspicion was power steering pump - checked fluids etc all seems well.. no leaks and operating as it should.  New belt was installed last service - about a month ago.

Battery is still under warranty from approx 18 months ago, new VVT installed ~ 3 years ago, new fuel pump ~ 18 months ago. 

Any suggestions on what the fault would be and best way to test?  I'm leaning towards alternator...

The less spent the better as I'm still trying to get the funds together to paint my Cortina.

Just smash a multimeter (set to volts) across the battery terminals. First with the car off and note voltage (should be 11.something), then check with the car running, should be around 14

Looks like it might have a voltmeter on the dash? could check using that as well

• Like 1

Usually :-)  but battery light is not specific to alternator no?  just to a low voltage problem?  I have had odd fault codes out of this POS before.  Like dirty throttle body triggered O2 sensor fault code etc. so was more curious if anyone had come across similar issues as time is short for diagnostics.  

Thanks, except I am at work and had lunch to test for faults so was hoping for guidance in case it was something more sinister... Battery tests fine at 12, raises to 12.8 when running but drops under load to 12.65. So its faulting but not completely ruined.. have to take it out Sunday for repair / replacement next week. 

I had a similar bunch of symptoms with my evo running low on electricity, I also had no battery charge light showing as it turns out the dodgy cable for the charging wiring (alternator to fuse box) was toast but the exciter wire (via the bulb) was still in tact so was getting voltage.

Thanks, battery terminals etc all sweet and couldn't see any issues with cables so looks like alternator is coming out Sunday to be sent off to the local auto sparky for repair / replacement.  

• Like 1

not sure about Altezas but some cars have an alternator / charge fuse , worth checking all fuses before you remove the alternator , a bit of a longshot but its a cheap/easy longshot ! good luck and lots of good advice above

Cheers guys, pulled the alternator off and got it to the auto sparky today.  he's just informed me that it's completely cooked and not really repairable so needs to be replaced.  He was asking if something had happened to the car because it was well toast inside - hopefully it's just wear and tear as I can't think of anything apart from maybe driving it home after I noticed a change in engine tone as mentioned above. 

Good prompt service from Coast Auto Electrix, would recommend.