Megasquirt issues

punk_a_saurus

Hey guys I'm trying to fix my megasquirt but can't figure out what the problem is, it's running a 1jzgte in a fc rx7, when I bought the car there was no issues ran fine etc, first cold start I got down the road and the ecu cut out then came on again a couple times, (I can see it cut out in the glovebox, when the 3 firing lights on the side die). This has gradually gotten worse to the point where I can start the car sometimes but when I try and move it it cuts out again.. Any help would be appreciated! And yes I've checked all the obvious things like battery terminals etc

Cheers!

it sounds like a loose connection somewhere, try following all the cables throughout their whole length and/or put a multimeter on each end and move the cables around to see if you lose connection

I would like to see pics of the car/engine bay

check all the grounds. check the crank position sensor distance to the trigger wheel and wiring. it could be missing sync then the thing thinks its starting again so then it adds start enrichment fuel. you really need a laptop to check though.

welcome to the confusing muddle that is sorting out megasquirt issues.

grounds and clean spike free power supplies are the gospel of this necrocomnicon.

You defiantly need to sort laptop out and data log it you'll be able to see everything that's happening when it cuts out. In saying that you'll need to learn how to read the logs also which isn't hard but will take bit of time. Everything else has been covered if it has even a little bit of dodgey wiring it'll play up. For me battery in the boot and old worn starter made for couple of years of crap starting until I recoed the starter cause it died. Once recoed it pulled less current and the megasquirt didn't get all pissed off.

EDIT: yes it is flooding, when it cuts out while driving and comes on again it backfires

not wanting to explain how to lick an egg, however incase you were unawares, ignition failure causes the same issue - puts unburned mixture in the exhaust ready to backfire when the ignition starts going again

Tomstament is on to it, follow his advise first, bad earths will cause you many head aches. It sounds like it is doing a reset and a laptop will confirm this for you. If its resetting my money is on bad earths or bad power source. Get them sused first cause like any ECU it wont run properly if they arent.

A sure fire fix of any megasquirt is to remove the ECU from the car and place it in a good strong vice,

do the vice up nice and tight till you hear cracking and breaking noises coming from the ECU

(do no be concerned with these noises as they are essential to the process)

once the ECU has been compressed to a ~10mm thickness the process is complete.

if this helpfull tip is not to your liking then checking spark plugs and ignition system is a good idea as a missfire due to a dirty plug or a weak spark can cause the ECU to loose sync and cut all spark/inj events causing nice fresh air to enter the exhaust system via the engine. it mixes nicely with unburnt fuel and when the engine turns back on it all gets ignited give off a loverly loud bang and sometimes nice flames too....

Agree meagasquirt ecus are awesome it's the DIY design of them that gives them a bad name because 90% of the people who chose them because of the cost and the fact they can do it themselfs actually can't. They still need to be set up to a professional standard not backyard styles lol. Even a factory or top brand aftermarket ecu will have problems if the wirings dodgey.

yea, I was being a bit mean, I'm usually a megasquirt defender but by a product of their firmware and hardware design they are vulnerable to noise issues.

something oem and higher end aftermarket ecu's do not suffer from.

though in value for money stakes they can not be beaten.

I've learnt sooo much over the past decade of DIYing EFI with megasquirts as my ecu of choice.

A nice install is all they need to be reliable.

at one stage I had 3 cars all with megasquirts and all reliably daily driven for a period of time.

what punk is describing sound like a lose connection somewhere.

• Like 1

although I say its running fine, I still think its not running to its full potential. it feels really hesitant when you go foot flat, and a slight miss. im looking into doing a single turbo conversion in the next couple weeks, and ill be looking for someone on here hopefully to dyno it/road tune it