Parkie's 1973 Bedford CF - Discussion

gravity444

How about a diesel engine? Wont weigh a lot more than the boat anchor slant 4 and would have heaps of good usable torque for a van. I have driven a CF with a LD28 but it was an auto and horrible. With a 5 speed it would have been sweet.

Anyways- welcome to Oldschool and nice to see more Vauxhall on here :-)

Yip I did consider the diesel option and to be fair, it is probably the most practical of the engines.  Cheap to run, heaps of torque for towing the boat..  But a diesel in my newly renovated CF.. Hmm..  I dont want it being compared to a tractor.. Ha..  

I do like the sound and idea of running a 6 cylinder, if I was ambitious id go for the 8, but too hard basket rings bells.  Maybe not the most sensible of options, but she still needs to purr.

Did you say you need a boat anchor.. Did you see my slant four will be on TradeMe... Ha

Hot doggie, things are moving along.. Sandblaster comes to visit tomorrow, so fingers crossed...

Still racking my brain with the engine.  I know diesels are probably the most sensible option, but I just cant do it.. dont let the missus know this is probably the best and most economical option.. 

So.. Now im trying to decide between a carburettor motor or ecu motor.. Here are my options so far... RB30... 202.... 306 or 302

202 is easy and relatively well priced. They even came out factory like that in Australia. May be able to find a rusty one to ease the conversion and pick up some spares at the same time.

Also do not sand blast large panels like sides, roof, door skins, bonnet etc.. The heat distorts them. Only blast parts that have strength in them. Basically if you can push against the panel and it isn't rock solid then don't blast it.

I'd suggest a holden v6 backed by the 4 stage auto make it a lazy cruiser and not bad on gas but still enough balls to not loose speed up hills the 4 stage would help it keep the revs down too. i used to have 84 bedford ambulance with a hot 173 running a vk commy 12 port head in it used to haul ass but top out at about 145k's on dash (was probably out by miles) at 6000rpm due to the weird ambo spec 9" diff gearing.

Yeah dude, the 6 cylinder is looking like a good option..

However... I looked at the Windsor v8, which looks like a pretty sweet engine.. I have also looked at a fuel injected v6, which looks mean.. Then I have been looking at v8 crate engines, which look awesome too..

The problem is, I don't want to put an old 202 into a mint shell, I'll only to have problems later...

So,

Crate engine- small block v8

Windsor v8 renditioned

Fuel injected v6 - holden

So I'll see how we go

Yeah dude, the 6 cylinder is looking like a good option..

However... I looked at the Windsor v8, which looks like a pretty sweet engine.. I have also looked at a fuel injected v6, which looks mean.. Then I have been looking at v8 crate engines, which look awesome too..

The problem is, I don't want to put an old 202 into a mint shell, I'll only to have problems later...

So,

Crate engine- small block v8

Windsor v8 renditioned

Fuel injected v6 - holden

So I'll see how we go

get a rebuilt 202 then? go for a blue 202 3.3 litre injected rather then a red or black 3 litre carby 202

get a rebuilt 202 then? go for a blue 202 3.3 litre injected rather then a red or black 3 litre carby 202

You mean a black 202ci EFi as opposed to the red and blue 202ci carby, they're all 3.3 as 202 cubic inches is 3310 cubic centimetres.

Reds are HQ, HZ, etc.

Blues are VB, VC, VH.

Blacks are VK.

• Like 1

Yeh sorry, which ever way round it goes. I think 202 is coolest motor for Bedfords. Putting something more powerful in them is just silly because it's a big ass van but it's not heavy like and American van also it has terrible handling it's super tall off the ground it's never going to be a race car. 202 hauls ass up hills it's all you need

My opinion of course

• 2 weeks later...

The biggest thing to remember is not to do many, if any, long runs. You'll get some serious distortion in your panels. Tack, cool, tack, cool, tack cool. Take your time and you'll be alright.

Most them look better than my first attempts, hell, they look better than what I can do now even.

There's welding tips and tricks on Youtube that are pretty sweet, it's one thing to be told by a guru on here (not me, clearly.) but another to see the process in action. I don't think there's a panel on my B310 I haven't touched with the metal glue gun and I'm still below par with it. Time and practice. At least, that's what I keep telling myself.

Fully agree with Kyteler - short zaps are essential on panel steel. Looks to me that you need a little more heat/less wire speed. The weld should be "in" the metal, not just sitting on top.

I also find it is better to use the 0.6mm wire for welding thin steel.

oh wow not to be rude but man thats some yuck welding haha. to me seems like you flailing your mig torch around and not going in a straight line. need to perch your left hand still against the sheet metal to get a clean even stephen weld. and do as kyteler said and do hot spot welds across the metal make it look like a row of quarters stopping occationally to let cool even put a wet rag on it if you like. be all like bbbbbaaazzzz.........bbbbaaazzzzz........bbbbbbaaaazzzz stitch it up so the steel doesnt over heat and distort 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...