3k Starting Issues

D1RTY6

Hey Guys, 

Picked up a Ke36 last week that i plan on using as my daily.

Having an issue with it turning over, has a good strong battery in it (out of the gloria) but when turning the car over it sounds like the car has a dead battery ???

wiring issue or starter or something, ive never come accross it before...

any ideas??

(before you ask no the battery isnt dead, i can chuck it into the gloria and it starts it up straight away)

Cheers

Nathan

Have replaced all the power and earth wires, that didnt remedy that problem unfortunately 

Bench tested the starter, it seemed to pop out and spin as it should 

just sounds like the starter hasnt got enough grunt to move the flywheel around

Does the engine turn over by hand easily?

Yea it does, it crash starts and runs/drives 

I once had a similar issue and it turned out that the starter switch on the ignition assembly was fucked. Couldn't afford to replace it so set up a momentary switch haha.

Haha i hooked up a temp switch in the engine bay bypassing all the wiring and it still wouldnt turn it over well

is it possible that the starter operates normal under a bench test but the gear wont spin once its loaded up (connected to the flywheel) 

Had the starter go on my modern a few weeks ago, took it around to a local auto sparky that works out of his garage. He had everything set up to recondition the starter there and then, so he pulled it apart for me to show me what the problem was (I like finding out this stuff). First thing he pointed out was bench testing doesn't really help with sluggish or clicking starters, often they will spin up fine on the bench, but won't do much when under load. On mine, the copper plating on the commutator (I think that's what it was called) was worn beyond repair, so I just got a rebuilt one on exchange as he would have had to order parts to sort mine out.

My symptoms started out with sluggish starting, clicking and finally wouldn't turn the engine over at all. Hope that helps.

• Like 1

If ya still have the starter off put it in a vice and spin it over with ya battery and see if it has enough grunt to chew up a piece of wood with the gear on the end. Should smoke up a piece of wood pretty good and grind into it a fair way

• Like 1