Rivalrx - 1972 Mazda 618 Coupe

rivalrx

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah the old 14x7 cragar quick tricks have good dish alright. Beats the cheap 13" ones out there.

I have most of the interior out bar the rear cards...bit fiddly.

Pulled the gas tank out in the weekend and being an ex piston Mazda, the tank is under the floor pan. About 1.6 cubic metres of Idaho dirt came out (mostly on my face) when the tank fell. It still had about 15L of petrol in it and it actually looked good.

The underneath of the boot is great which is a relief. It will blast up very nicely I think. I will post pics soon as my phone shat itself....

Engineer coming for a look see soon....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah man - I'm ecstatic!! Engineer was saying its a straight forward fix and said should be an easy sign off.

Front and rear glass out this week - bit of rot lower screens but that's cool.

Rx2 616 618 coupe shape is just hot I think.

Yay.. But hurry up :-) bring to nelson. I wanna drive. This is coming to the Nats next year eh..

Yeah Alex, I'm at lead foot next year and old school ants if all goes to plan.

It's on the hoist now awaiting a blast underside and an under seal.

Then the repairs....can't wait

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So I've been grinding and blasting....

And I have sold the s4na 13b back to my mate who offered me a deal I couldn't refuse including s5 13b auto counterweight, dizzy, alternator, s5 mazda rebuild kit minus apex seals plus $$. Now it's game on for the 13b bridge.

I'm hoping to have the internals balanced shortly:

Assembly balanced

Rotors lightened

Rotors clearanced (shaves top of the rotor side faces as they tend to expand at high revs and can contact the side plates)

Rotors slotted 3mm from 2mm as they are just out of spec (need 3mm carbon apex seals from mazda)

Rx8 e shaft cross drilled

Pressure plate pinned to he flywheel

I need a brass button clutch now and it's game on!!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The shell has had the underside blasted - only a couple of minor repairs!!!

I bought a set of FR17 x 7 Simmons so all the other rims have been sold. I'm going 9" wide on the rears therefore I now am going Hilux LSD rear end and FC RX7 brakes all round.

Spiraling out of control nicely

• Like 2

Oh dear. It was going to be such an awesome car and then some Aussie fella sneaked in and put big rims on it while you were sleeping ? But its all OK because Im sure us Kiwis will be able to group together and locate you some proper sized rims (13~14"), possibly chrome with 10 holes around the outside. Then everything will be back in order and heading in the RIGHT DIRECTION.

• Like 4