1986 Subaru Leone summer project

lucashay

Hello members of the forum,

I have recently purchased a 1986 Subaru Leone and intend to work on it over summer. I have put a stereo system in and plan to get it painted etc etc. One of the problems I have run into is that the stud pattern is 4x140 and I cannot find anything with that pattern. I spoke to Precision Wheels and they said it might be possible to put a early model Legacy hub on and change the pattern to 5x100 which would give unlimited amounts of wheels to choose from. Has anyone done this before? What should I look at doing to be able to over come this hiccup? All input is greatly appreciated

No idea on hub style or legalities of the following but can you

-re drill between existing holes to 4 stud pcd of your choice

-get new hubs machined from billet $$$

-use adaptor spacers

-find wheel blanks that you can have drilled to your pcd (I'm sure I heard of a wheel place in nz that had their wheels drilled to correct pcd after sale)

The next problem which I should have mentioned earlier is that there is not a lot of room between the tire/rim and the guard, so a high offset wheel is the only choice. That is where the adapter would fail, in that I would not have enough room to fit some tires and the guards have already been rolled. I would want to keep away from the 6 stud pattern, staying with a 4 or 5 stud pattern. New(er) hubs would be better as the current ones have seen better days and probably wouldn't be best for re-drilling. On that note though, where should I go to speak to someone about machining some hubs or modifying my current ones. As I said earlier, I have spoken to Precision wheels and none of their suppliers would drill to 4x140 as it is just too large. Sorry for my incompetence but I'm fairly new to the whole deal, my modification experience merely limited to fitting a sound system or installing a pod filter, both petty tasks. Thanks for all the help so far, it is greatly appreciated.

I heard it in front of me at the lights but a van was blocking my line of sight initially

You were giving it a few revs haha.

I thought it looked alright. I might have been in my lada actually. This all happened on wairau turning onto Tristram.

It sound like a modern boxer but then again I have no idea what a leone sounds like though haha.

Also have a google re the hubs. I found a site rsliberty.somethingorrather where someone swapped hubs (amongst other things) on his leone.

yeah, I would have just come from work and was warming it up while cleaning the exhaust. I think the leone was the first to produce the boxer engines, I'm not too sure what is in it exactly. if you could attach the link or whatever I would be really greateful

Lewl...have fun lowering it.  Theres a reason you don't see many slammed ones....because they are fucking awful to drive.  My hatch was lethal near corners and never got seriously low.  The first thing that stops you going low is getting suspension travel in the rear and needing to cut a bigger slot in the front engine bay/guard inner for the halfshafts.

Jack it up, throw on some tube bumpers and some hilux steels with redrilled hubs. That's the way to enjoy these things :D

Being a 1986, is it a EA81 or early EA82?

• Like 1