Project 8, Howard eight motorbike project need help

JAPNUT

Hi all, I have a vintage 1940s V Twin 810cc Howard engine I want to put in a motorbike!! I need to know what type of frame to use, and gearbox, the engine is big and heavy, and low revving, only 1500rpm at max, but there very torque'y engines, even though there 8HP. what is the best bet? Build a frame or do some modifications to an old frame? I need ideas...... hope someone can help, I've always wanted to do this with one of these engines. 

Ev

A quick google of what a howard engine is has got me fizzing, that sounds epic!

What kind of style are you wanting to go for? Hard tail bobber type of dealio or something a little more traditional, full fenders etc?

If it were me I'd get a steel framed bike that had been crashed or something and chop that up. That way you have wheels, brakes, head set, tripple clamps etc etc etc that all match and fit together.

But also if it were me I'd be building a springer front. Nothing else will do that engine justice

• Like 1

A quick google of what a howard engine is has got me fizzing, that sounds epic!

What kind of style are you wanting to go for? Hard tail bobber type of dealio or something a little more traditional, full fenders etc?

If it were me I'd get a steel framed bike that had been crashed or something and chop that up. That way you have wheels, brakes, head set, tripple clamps etc etc etc that all match and fit together.

But also if it were me I'd be building a springer front. Nothing else will do that engine justice

Thanks man, that's a great idea, it will be Hard tail, or Bobber. and yes springer Front, it will be an old school Vintage style, I will look for some old frames soon.

Cheers

Ev

oooh this sounds choice! excite.

post up some pictures of the type of bike you'd like to end up with.

would be nice to bide your time until a unique vintage frame comes up..

making a shit frame is easy. making something worthy is a very involved task.

• Like 3

haha yes that's right, it's going to be a thumper, build a frame, and build a bullet type fuel tank with oil in one part and fuel in the other, kind of what the vintage J.A.P, Triumph etc etc had I'll find a picture of what it will look like or close to.

Ev